What's new

Ever heard of Radiotehnika speakers? (1 Viewer)

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a new pair of their S-250MS towers for $210 shipped off of Ebay - waitin' for 'em to arrive. They're made in Latvia. Their website translates into English in a strange way.

I thought these were yet another "White Van" brand until I went to their site. I'm very curious about the quality. At about 66lbs each I'm guessing that there must be some quality in there somewhere, unless there's a used car battery in the bottom of them. In the "news" section of their site I read something about them making professional speaker cases for Mackie. After that the stench of "white van" cleared from the air.

Man, I hope they get packed well. I'm in CA and they're coming in from NY.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
These speakers have bumped my Def Tech BP10's into the closet. The cabinets are pretty solid and weigh at least 50lbs each and are tall, slim, and deep - a style that I like alot. I'm very impressed with their bass extension which is much deeper than the BP10's. They're the first speakers I have owned that can sound like my subwoofers on their own. Playing Enya through a Peavey Kosmos, I just couldn't believe I only paid $210 shipped for the pair. Who woulda thunk Latvians could make speakers?

I'm glad I took the time to research them a little and not dismiss them as junk, which I almost did.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Glad that you're pleased. Still, I think buying speakers without listening to them is risky.

It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures on their website, but it looks like they may be using Vifa drivers (definitely not "white van" material). However, their site is dangerously scarce with technical detail. If I were buying speakers "sound unheard" I'd want frequency response curves, waterfall plots (cumulative spectral decay), impedance curves (they incorrectly called this "resistance"), phase response plots, crossover types and slopes, cabinet construction details and materials, etc. etc.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a couple of shots of the side mounted woofer.

And a couple of the midrange.

The actual effective piston area of the woofer is only 8", but boy does it go deep in that enclosure. It's a strange looking woofer with that huge dust cap and reverse roll surround. Both drivers seem to be of good quality with the cast frames. The tweeter is just plastic framed, soft dome with a neodynium magnet structure (I think), but it also sounds nice.

I figured for the price I wasn't taking much of a risk. I find it unusual that Samsung and Toshiba would outsource some of their television cabinets to this company, who also makes printed circuit boards and does various types of plating for metal parts - way out in Latvia.

Yeah, that website is lacking in detail for all of their products and services.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks