What's new

Ever get lucky? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
No, not like that, with DVds I mean :)

I found this rental place that sells used DVDs for $9.99 each, or 3 for $24.99, with a large selection to boot, much larger than say Blockbuster used selection.

Of course, most of it is crap, but I have managed to walk out with the following:

Signs
Minority Report
Sum of All Fears
Changing Lanes
Ice Age (sight unseen)
Panic Room (Superbit)
Spy Game
Final Countdown *
Crazy/Beautiful

9 movies for $75 + tax. Actually I did it over 3 weeks.

Only 3 of these movies were on my to buy list, Signs, Minority Report and Final Countdown. Changing Lanes and Spy Game were "maybes"... However the rest are all good movies that I wasn't gonna go out of my way to own but well worth it at less than 10 bucks each. Yeepeeee!! :)

They get new movies every week end. There is only one problem: They are closing :frowning:. Oh well, I hope they stay around a couple of more week, this is too good to be true!

* (an absolutely horrible DVD for this highly anticipated movie. I missed it's release was was pleasantly surprised to see on the shelf... only to be sorely dissapointed by it's quality :thumbsdown:)

Just wanted to share my luck ;D

--
Holadem

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I think I've seen all of those used recently for $8-$12, so I guess I'm lucky all the time. It's just a matter of knowing where to look.

I'll tell you about the WORST luck I had, though. I used to go to this local HT/video rental store a lot because they'd often sell off their overstock DVDs for really low prices ($7-$12 usually, even for Criterions and doubles). Well, I didn't go there for a couple of months, and then when I went back, I found out that they were getting out of the video rental business and had been selling off their ENTIRE stock! They had soooooooo many great titles I would have liked; just about every Criterion, for example. By the time I found out, the only Criterion left was Carnival of Souls (which I bought, though later sold it). I managed to get about 6 or 7 discs that I wanted, but it still pains me to think of all the ones I missed out on. If nothing else, I could have made a killing on eBay.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I've found some great deals at one of the local CD/game exchange chains, including a sealed copy of Grave Of The Fireflies: CE for $8.00 and The Nightmare Before Christmas: SE for $5.00.

Someone's going to trade in a copy of The Devil's Backbone one of these days...I can feel it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I think I've seen all of those used recently for $8-$12, so I guess I'm lucky all the time. It's just a matter of knowing where to look.
Thanks for raining on my parade :angry:

:)

Seriously, do you often see 10, 20 potential buys at less than 10 bucks each, all in one place, at a B&M store where you can just grab them and go home? If I go on ebay or look at the sales section here I am sure I could find them all... from 4 or 5 different sellers + the hassle of dealing online... you get the point.

--
Holadem

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Seriously, do you often see 10, 20 potential buys at less than 10 bucks each, all in one place, at a B&M store where you can just grab them and go home?
Yes. I'm a little more, ummm, selective about what I buy, but judging by what you bought, yes sometimes.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Blockbuster and Hollywood often have 3 for 2 previewed deals, and the pricing works out to about the same or a little better than what you describe, depending on the titles selected.

Tastewise, I think I'd have to side with ChuckDeLa, while these discs are plentiful there just aren't enough that I'd want to buy.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Yea I got lucky and I got ya beat:

I scored about 80 DVD cases from Blockbuster last night for a total of $0.00 . I couldn't believe it. I'm looking at this huge bag of cases sitting by the door. So I ask the cashier "Are those going in the garbage?" She replies "Yep" So I ask "Do you mind if I take them for ya?" She says "Go ahead." So 80 DVD cases out the door for $0 . So far I've found 1 double amray and I think the rest are single. Just thought I'd mention this so others might be able to take advantage.

Good luck

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
I get "lucky" at my local flea market all the time... The most recent lucky find was a brand new, factory sealed Godfather Trilogy for $39. I'm not into them, but he has had the X Files and Star Trek: TNG box sets for $59.

He charges $13 for single DVD's and $16 for doubles and has about 800 titles to choose from. He always has plenty of brand new copies of the latest releases and tons of older titles.

The most difficult part about the flea market is the fact that it is only open on weekends. It is tough waiting from Tuesday until Saturday for titles that I really want... In addition, he never knows what he will have or in what quantity, so it is alway a risk when you wait.

Suffice it to say, I am usually standing there when he opens on Saturdays just to see what he has in for the weekend... :emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I have an in-law who works at a big 2nd hand CD/DVD place in LA, he scores us all kinds of stuff. I give him a list and he finds the stuff for $5-10 and puts together a package. Over the past year, he's snagged us:

* Many Akira Kurosawa DVDs, some CC (and OOPs)
* Lots of other CC movies
* Minority Report
* Anime, anime, anime
* Panic Room
* More, but I can't remember

All for $5-10! Sometimes, it's good to be the king...

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
I think Blockbuster used to be a good place for 10 buck discs, but I quess they got tired of seeing them on EBay. If they have a buy two, get one free sale, it works out to about the same price. I find that I usualy do not want three of those titles, at least not on that day, so the change has been kind of a bummer. Luckily I have 3 fairly large rental places near me that still sale old rentals at 9.99 so thats cool. Latley I have gotten a bit lazy and have just gotten into the habbit of snagging them on HalfBay. With the shipping, it usualy is less then 12 dollars , though I don't have to buy gas or pay sales tax, plus I get a pleasant surprise in my mailbox once in awhile. Of course one doesn't get immediate gradification, but I'm a big boy and can handle it. My personal opinion is that most Ebay auctions are overpriced, though occ. you can score a rare OOP disc at a good price if you are in the right place at the right time. I have gotten only one bad disc in the mail. I am still awaiting resolution on that one.(The seller isn't too chatty with his Email) I got toasted on that deal. Paid 16.00 for a "you only live twice" but the seller didn't take PayPal so I had to fork over 3 for a money order in addition for $4 for initial shipping. Then I had to pau $2 to return it to him. That was a week ago, haven't heard yet, we'll see. SAo, HalfBay is better, in my opinion. Shipping is almost alawys $2.50 and your credit card on file is charged. Of course something can be said about the trill of the hunt when out scouring for good disc deals. I have even got a few good deals in pawn shops, but usualy you have to dicker with them. Also, used video game stores are good for me.

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Added thought after a few weeks. I have just got screwed with 3 bootleg dvds in a row on half.com! I guess I'm not so smart after all. Be careful out there boys and girls.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Just found a near mint Fight Club two disc SE for 12.99 at the local game shop. Looks like I will be holding on to it for a bit, as it's value seems to keep climbing on eBay. Also found the 2 disc Atlantis SE a couple of weeks back for $15 at another used CD store. Dunno if it is worth much, but I never usually even see it on eBay, and it is a sweet set.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Newbury Comics (local chain of comicDVDmusic stores in Boston area) is having a 25th Anniversary Sale... 30% off of all their pre-owned DVDs. Yesterday I picked up:
Solaris: Criterion ($13)
Boiler Room ($7)
8 MM ($7)

They also had the E.T. Boxed Set for ~$32, and X-Files Season sets for ~$50 (they had S1, S4, S5, and S6).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks