What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released? (1 Viewer)

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Threshold is one thing - standards etc.

However, as mentioned, a complete un-changed edition - all music intact is not realistic.

So having fantasies about it, are just that, fantasies. So (again as mentioned) we can hope that the retain the most significant pieces of music, as that is the only realistic option.

Just because something is possible in one manner (technology) does not mean that it is possible in other manners (legal).

Unless the music-dvd situation is legally changed soon, whatever comes out in April will be the only version you can choose to own.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
[Just because something is possible in one manner (technology) does not mean that it is possible in other manners (legal).

Unless the music-dvd situation is legally changed soon, whatever comes out in April will be the only version you can choose to own.[/quote]

Exactly my point, so everyone either buy it or don't. I still feel that something is better than nothing, and for those who are boycotting in hopes that Fox will get the message and eventually release WKRP totally uncut and without any music substitutions, it is a fantasy. It will never happen with all of the bean counters over at Fox..

Clay_E

Second Unit
Very true. For example, I don't think it's the case now, but for a long time it was simply not possible to license any Beatles recording, for any amount of money. The answer was always simply a flat "no."

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
Everyone out there who loves WKRP, if you can afford it, do us all a favor and just go out and buy it!
That way at least we have some form of the show preserved..

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What would be preserved is only two things - a horrible mockery of a great show, and enormous profits for dvd makers who don't need to bother securing music rights cause people would buy it anyway. I'll gladly pay hundreds of dollars for any uncut seasons that make it out, but not one penny for music replacement crap.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
What?! Speak up sonny! My old and frail ears can't hear you dagnabbit! Damn memory's goin' too...Sorry, what was ya sayin'?

:)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Uncut? Hell, yeah. This is one of my very favorite shows of all time (top 3 at least). I used to pay top dollar for rare music that wasn't available (e.g., a lot of what eventually came out on Beatles Anthology), and I'd gladly pay $500 for an uncut season of WKRP. I realize that isn't a marketable price for them, but then again, paying for all the music rights would never lead to a price anywhere near that high. My point is simply what value I personally place on an uncut vs. cut dvd.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Here be specs, price & extras.

The list price is $10 higher than the price of the similarly-packaged Bob Newhart Show sets (which are also three double-sided discs, and, oh, Fox, when are you gonna shed your addiction to double-sided discs?). I will hold out hope that this means they budgeted for some music licensing costs.

I was initiatlly taken aback by the lack of a commentary on "Turkeys Away" but then I saw that they have a featurette on the making of that episode. I suppose a commentary would probably just duplicate most of the information from the featurette. The episodes they're doing commentary on are the pilot and "Johnny Comes Back" (which is the one with the new DJ who's taking payola, the "Red Wigglers" jingle, and Mr. Carlson mistaking cocaine for foot powder).

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I like the price, the release date (don't have any plans for any other DVD purchases that month) and the extras. Can't wait.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Does anyone know why the syndi eps had to have music changed ? It was a TV show airing on TV (albeit in reruns) so it's not like a different format such as DVD. Does the original music licensing not apply even when a show is syndied ? If that's true perhaps that's one reason we've had butchered reruns of The Carol Burnett Show (Carol Burnett & Friends) forced upon us for decades now. All of the music was cut.

Katherine_K

Second Unit

TV airings and DVD releases are seperate and unrelated in terms of music rights. The original contracts anticipated rerunning and syndication, they didn't anticipate that thirty years later we'd be buying entire television series on a home video format.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Darn... It is 2 sided discs.

Guess I just saved a lot of money. I will add this to the list of TV on DVD that I want but wont buy on double sided discs.

Good thing Netflix gets single sided versions of these titles.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I believe the original music rights only applied to the network airings of the show, so new music clearances had to be negotiated for the syndication run.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Yep Netflix gets all my TV On DVD 2 Sided Disk Buisness, you could have had my money fox, but no more for me, all my Fox Sets have skipped or pixilated, or wigged out on at least one episode of the set.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It also makes it very easy for people with Netflix to not buy this...If you catch my meaning.

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
The problem is however, if a studio release a butchered version of WKRP and it sells well, then that sends a message to the studio that sort of standard is now acceptable for other shows as well. Soon we will be seeing studios replacing the music right off the bat rather than even considering to preserve the original music because they think the customers don't care either way.

Katherine_K

Second Unit

That's rather alarmist and is unlikely for any number of reasons from the fact that music replacement itself costs money to bad publicity...

... but make no mistake. Most customers don't care either way. Never function under the delusion that the population of this forum or any other on the internet represents the actual feelings of the average consumer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks