What's new

Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released? (1 Viewer)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The complete and uncut versions were shown overseas in the late 80s, friend of mine taped them.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I hope the music/home video laws change too. It makes me sick that such a great show is in limbo because of the stupid music rights issue. Maybe Fox will release a UK, or German dvd some day(with all the great music included). Probably wasn't very popular in other countries though. This show is about as American as apple pie.

:frowning:

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
And it makes me sick that the UK and Germany have a better chance of getting an intact WKRP than we do.Are the laws that different over there?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
the problem isn't just about laws. It's also about music rights holders who charge WAY too much for the use of their songs. That also has to change. But it probably won't.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The problem is that these studios think that they should be able to release these shows with the original music intact while, at the same, paying very little for the music rights.

There's also the problem that these studios misinform the public regarding these music rights and this ends up alienating fans of these television shows against the music artists and the rights' holders of that music.

If you want someone to blame, blame the original producers of these television shows that used so much music in the shows in the first place.

Everyone keeps forgetting that these music artists and the rights holders deserve to be fairly compensated for their work. Until these television studios agree on a compensation arrangement with the music industry, this will never change.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yes, but just what is "fair" compensation? I fully believe an artist *should* be compensated for their work. It's why I *purchase* music instead of just dl/ripping/etc. a CD in spite of the fact that *most* artists make their money from touring with the CD typically a loss leader/promotional item in their pocketbook. But often you'll see a multi-millionaire artist charging exhorbitant rates for one of "their" songs because they are "the greatest ever" in their eyes. Frequently it's the "back office" who is doing the negotiating and they are "looking out for the boys" (i.e. we've got to protect our phony balony jobs gentlemen). If "artists" would look at the inclusion of their work as a promotional effort (like the CD) and charge accordingly it could make everyone happy... the studio (less up front monies), the artist (could get a modest regular residual based on airings/sales, you know... like radio), and the consumer (gets the complete, original product without bastardization by greedy corporate "suits"). Of course, as you indicate, the studios also have to come to agreement and not expect to pay a pittance for licensing while charging a kings' ransom.

The long and short of it is that I blame them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks