What's new

Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released? (1 Viewer)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Absolutely. I wish all the songs could stay, but deep down I think we all know it's highly unlikely. :frowning:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Cmon Henry, give me a break. You sound like Carlson's mother chastizing Johnny Fever. You're entitled to your opinion about what kind of edits you'd find acceptable, but it's bogus for you to accuse those of us with a different opinion as being selfish and trying to deny you future seasons. That kind of reasoning could easily be flipped around to say you're the one being selfish and denying me uncut future seasons. But in the end, everyone has to decide for themselves. I certainly disagree with anyone who thinks it's a good idea to buy WKRP with music replacement, and will certainly argue the logic that WKRP with music replacement does not equal WKRP, but rather a cheap shoddy impersonation of WKRP, but in the end, those who decide to buy it anyway are within their rights, and I might call them mistaken or misguided, but not selfish or false fans.

"Disco Sucks" - Dr. Johnny Fever, 1981
"Music Replacement sucks worse than disco" - Dr. Johnny Fever, 2006
"Disco's cool" - Rip Tide, 1981
"Anyone who doesn't buy WKRP on dvd cause of music replacement is a loser" - Rip Tide, 2006

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Okay, so just to clarify, you would not buy it with musical changes? I'd hate it too but I'd do it, and it appears to be the deal we're getting. But I want Fox to know this, I would NOT buy it with scenes missing. ;)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I can see it now...Instead of Pink Floyd's "Dogs" playing throughout the scene, they can play Baha Men's "Who Let the Dogs Out". The scene can now look like this:

Johnny: Gripping music, huh?
Mr. Carlson: Yeah, that's good all right. What's the name of that orchestra?
Johnny (dubbed in): Baha Men.
Mr. Carlson (dubbed in): Oooh, is that Baha Men? Do I hear dogs barking on that thing?
Johnny: I do.

Yeah, this new release sounds like it may be quite an adventure. LOL!

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
One thing I should say about this issue -- and this is true every time it comes up -- "george kaplan" can buy and not buy whatever he wants. If he doesn't want a set with altered music, he shouldn't be expected to buy it just to support the release of future seasons. We all have our own standards for what we will or won't buy and there's nothing wrong with refusing to buy a set that has altered music.

For myself, I said years ago (see my old post in this forum, "How about WKRP without the music?") that what I would like to see is for the producers to identify songs that were absolutely essential to the scene, concentrate on clearing those songs that are "essential," and then see what's left over in the music budget. I hope Fox has done something like that.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Nor any other changes. Not cut scenes, not syndicated versions, not faux widescreen. Complete and unedited, including all music, or no sale.

I don't want to rehash the same old debate as in other such threads, but just to further clarify:

- the only time that edits of any sort are acceptable to me, and that I would buy a dvd with edits, is if they were truly impossible (not difficult - impossible) to obtain. For example, if a certain scene in a certain episode of WKRP were truly lost. With music replacement the corresponding bar would be set very, very high. There would have to be documented evidence that a song was truly unavailable (e.g., the artist said publicly that it was not available at any price). But I'll be damned if I'm going to give some greedy Hollywood producer (and let's face facts, the dvd makers are every bit as greedy as any music copyright holder) the benefit of the doubt. If the music is missing, and there's no evidence to the contrary, I'm going to assume that they were too cheap to pay for it and they simply were lazy and greedy (e.g., there's good evidence that such was the case in the horrendous music replacement at the end of the first arc of Wiseguy). Again, I understand that providing such evidence is not something that these guys are going to do, but without that, music replacement = no sale.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

I'm with you except there are instances (like with any Ray Charles song) where the artist won't license it, no matter what. What is the studio supposed to do then?

Just out of curiosity, did they ever do a poll to see if people would buy at a higher price point to maintain the music. I know I would, especially for a great show like this. I wouldn't mind paying more if it meant the show would be intact.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

That's a bit much. george isn't talking about organizing a boycott. He's simply refusing to buy something that he wouldn't enjoy, which is perfectly understandable. I'd love to have R1 Quantum Leaps 2 through 4, but I won't. And, you can't even get an intact fourth season in R2.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Then it's a no sale for you GK, which I think is being completely me-myself-I anal. 'My memory of this show is what counts, to Hell with other fans'. I really don't see the problem with a few music dubs, surely it's the least important part of the show, story, jokes, acting comes way before that. -Way before the Pink Floyd joke. Replace the music, keep or replace the band name; joke kept.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Henry,

Again, and again, you have the temerity to be the edit-police for what cuts should and shouldn't bother other people, and those who don't come to the same conclusion as you are either not true fans ("how could they buy something with syndicated versions?") or are too anal ("how you could they not buy something just because of these cuts which I, Henry the all-knowing, have dubbed minor?").

Well I do not bow to your judgment, nor will I accept your accusations that I am being anal or selfish for not buying an edited version just because you have proclaimed the edits minor. Buy or not as you wish, but please do not try to pronounce judgment on those who do not subscribe to your opinion.

Your opinion is just that - your opinion - not some subjective truth.

Let me see if I can save us some time here. I'll write out our next bunch of posts, and see if we can then avoid actually having to go through it.

Henry: "George Kaplan is just selfish and anal cause he won't buy WKRP even though I deem the cuts unimportant and minor"

George: "Henry, I do not accept your judgment of what is minor or unimportant. I will not buy these edited, and I do not accept your name-calling".

Henry: "George Kaplan is just selfish and anal cause he won't buy WKRP even though I deem the cuts unimportant and minor"

George: "Henry, I do not accept your judgment of what is minor or unimportant. I will not buy these edited, and I do not accept your name-calling".

[repeat ad infinitum, or until one of us puts the other on the ignore list]

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I'm merely being curious here, nothing wrong with that IMHO. Just super curious why song snippets can possibly be more important than the big picture, of a show genius both with and without them...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If you honestly don't understand why the gestalt of the show is more than just the sum of the various parts, which in and of themselves might seem dispensible, then I give up.

I could take almost any 15 second bit out of any episode of WKRP, and claim that what was left was still great. And you could snip another 10 seconds here, and another 30 seconds there. Pretty soon, what do you have? Syndicated cuts.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

I thought you WEREN'T trying to convince others not to buy it (just stating your preference), because it sounds there like you are.

Also--a general question--these aren't going to be syndication edits, are they? Does Fox release syndication edits on DVD?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Well, I guess I give up too George, if you think 'soundbites' and music bits is more important in WKRP, than Herb, Big Guy, Les and Johnny's legendary lines. I don't think it's half as important as dialogue. Me, I'm buying, provided no scenes are cut out or shortened.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

So what if he was? This isn't the "music replacement appreciation" thread. He has as much a right to try to convince people not to buy this as people in the Star Wars threads had a right to try to convince people not to buy the altered versions of those movies. I don't think the quote you chose is an example of this, but it wouldn't be a problem if it was.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I will not speak for George, but personally, my purchase decisions are not made based on what's best "for other fans", but on whether I think I'll enjoy the product -- after all, it's my money and my time. In the case of WKRP with significant music replaced, I do not believe I would enjoy the end result. Therefore, if significant music replacements do occur for this release, then this WKRP fan will pass on the DVD release.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
He never said that Henry...He never said it was more important. Just that any edit whatsoever is unacceptable to him. Your threshold is lower. Simple as that. There may be others whose threshold is lower than yours and believe you to be "selfish" because you wouldn't buy a set with a few simple scene edits.

That's it. Nothing more.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I get that, I have no problem with GK or his opinion, just don't agree that's all. HTF is an open debate forum, just putting forward my preferences on my fave sitcom, right. Still, we're not talking about G. Lucas changing SW because he egoistically thinks it's better that way, but a 30 year-old videotaped sitcom with music rights that sometimes can't be worked out, it may never be worked out. If something like this can make it through relatively untattered, it's a small miracle. IMO the song edits in the syndicated versions weren't all that bad, could've been worse. The Van Halen bit at Dale's radio shop was changed to some guitar doodling, scene did't lose anything 'jokey' from that, IMHO. But hey, fingers crossed and to each his own, as they say. :)

thetoonguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Braun
I'm a long-time lurker in the forums but had to weigh in on this issue. Though I'm totally against the replacement of music or messing with the original episode at ALL, I'll admit that if the first season came out I'd buy it either way - especially if it had bonus features! Hopefully, if there is an interest and if we're vocal about the issues we have with the editing, the next season will be improved. A lot of "if's" there, I know.

If you want to chuckle at our pain, check out this comic strip about the WKRP issue at toon-it-up.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks