What's new

Energy Take 5.2 break in period? (1 Viewer)

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all, took the plunge and got the Energy Take 5.2 with the new 8.2 sub as well...got a killer deal in Windsor, Ontario! Anyway now that I got them home the first thing Ive noticed is they're a little harsh and screechy right out of the box. Is this normal?? At the store they sound more smooth and detailed in the treble(hooked up to a comparable reciever) What actually 'breaks in' and how long does it take? Also, how much better would a nice Marantz or Denon make these sound over my old pro-logic Kenwood??
Thanks again everyone!! Mike:D

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, I am in Madison Heights about 30 min from you and about the same from Windsor. I too am looking at this set up. If you don't mind my asking, just how good was the deal? I've seen some online retailers selling this set for about $680 USD. If I can get a better deal in Windsor, I'm there!

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
After 2 weeks of normal listening (not running test tones for hours) with a mix of DVD's and music, you will 'all of a sudden' love the sound.
Now this may be because of 2 differing opinions
1. your speakers are now broken in
2. your ears are now broken in to the sound of the speakers
All I know is that after a couple of weeks, people tend to be more than happy with their Energy speakers
BTW - I own the XL line with the 8.2 sub (still in the process of tweaking)
Have fun listening to DVD's all over again
Paul

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Tom I sent you an e-mail through the forums system because the guy didnt want me advertising how much I paid, and I can understand that. Let me know if you got it. Anyway, the Energy intructions says to mount them 5 to 8 feet apart, however my room is 12' wide. Would 10' be too far?? I just hooked up an old 10 band EQ just for kicks and they seem a little better, but I know everyone frowns on using an EQ! Dont get me wrong Im very happy so far, I just want the treble to smooth out some...Like I said, could be my 6 year old Kenwood.. Mike:b

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
Mike:

The Marantz or the Denon would definitely make your Engeries sound better! Now you have an excuse to upgrade.

I have also been wondering about break-in. Can I damage the speakers by turning them up (during the 50-100 hours that Athena (same manufacturer as Energy) recommend for break-in)?

Or is it that the cones have not yet developed the flexibility to respond to sound?

My decades-old Pioneer CS-549 sound great (but won't take the power of my receiver), and I think they have 'really' broken in, developed a cohesion or whatever it is.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
tommy_esq wrote:

I've seen some online retailers selling this set for about $680 USD.
May I ask where you saw that? My preliminary net searching hasn't turned up much. That sounds like a very good price.

Other than the required break-in, does anyone have any misgivings about these speakers? I'm about to recommend them to my cousin, who is starting up a little home theater for her NYC apartment...

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I noticed no break in with my Take 5's (not 5.2's). Of course, HT was new to me then, so I may have just been overwhelmed by the improvement over the tv's speakers. Regardless, they are great speakers.

You can put them as close or as far apart as you want. They are just providing generic advice for the non-enthusiasts out there...

Martin.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Neil,

I believe Landes Audio in Chester sells Energy speakers. They are on Rte. 24 where the old flea market used to be.

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Neil- just do a quick Google search or read some of the reviews on audioreview.com (they usually state what they paid and where they purchased). I didn't bookmark any of the sites, but am positive I saw those prices on more than one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks