What's new

Emperor of the North DVD on June 6th See Post #17 (1 Viewer)

Mike_Pal

Agent
With "Flight of the Phoenix" finally released on DVD, does anyone know if any other Robert Aldrich films are coming to DVD? "Emperor of the North" is pretty obscure, but this is one I would like to see......I remember seeing it in the theaters when released, and thought it was a very good movie. Robert Aldrich is one of my favorite filmakers, and any info on this or any other Aldrich film coming to DVD would be nice to know......
so many movies crying out for the DVD treatment.......

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This movie is only obscure because, for whatever reasons, it has NEVER BEEN RELEASED TO VIDEO IN ANY FORM. This is a fine entertainment. Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine have terrific roles and play them to the hilt. The scenery and cinematography of it are awesome, and the action sequences beautifully done. Fox may be in the process of preparing this for DVD... it was mentioned in the last chat with Mr. Staddon. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...it has NEVER BEEN RELEASED TO VIDEO IN ANY FORM.
That is untrue. It is available on VHS, though very difficult to find.

I know this because I know someone who owns a copy and I borrowed it from him to screen.

Based on the fact that it was of good quality (by VHS standards) and on display in a catalogue from a reputable retailer, I would assume it wasn't a bootleg.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'd kill for this film on DVD (okay, maybe not kill... seriously maim at least), it's been so long since I've seen it. One of Aldrich's best films.

Another Aldrich film I'd like to see on DVD is Twilight's Last Gleaming which Fox released on Laser but I'm not sure if they still have the rights. Although some of the scenes are a little hard to chew,(mostly involving the president), I still find it very enjoyable with some tense sequences.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Further to my previous post, the VHS is listed as available on IMDB and Amazon.

Which just goes to show you that Maltin's movie guide is not always right. ;)

And, oh yah, I'd like to see this film on DVD. I really liked it and have been hoping for a DVD release eventually. If that happens, it would be nice to see the film released with its original title, The Emperor of the North Pole, which makes much more sense if you've seen the film.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
As often, I stand corrected. But, then, VHS doesn't count for much and was the movie's only video release format.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I heard a radio interview with Borgnine late last year, and his memories of this superb film are excellent - get that man a microphone! Audio commentary, please!

I like movies about hobos. :D

The documentary, Riding The Rails - about hoboing in America during the depression is now on DVD. Great piece of documentary filmmaking.

Gordy

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well - there's another format out there called laser disc. This film was released in Japan on laser disc (I own it) and, I'm pretty certain, in Britain on a PAL disc. So there's two more releases.

ted:r

Second Unit
If this is true, it's fantastic news!

It also means that there will be 19 DVDs that I will want on 6/6/06 (hmmm...): The John Fords, The Fox Noir, Emperor and Syriana (and mebbe Mommie Dearest...)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've got a buddy that's going to wet his pants, when I tell him this. I think he only owns 3-5 DVDs, and keeps talking about this as being the only other one that he wants.

I've never seen, but I'm sure we'll check it together whilst consuming mass quantities.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I Netflix most of my movies these days. Emperor would be a purchase, assuming it's good quality :emoji_thumbsup: .

Doug

Mike_Pal

Agent
Wow! Set the wayback machine for this one! I had given up on this release......can't wait!!! Hope the do the film justice with a good, quality release.;)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Yes!!! Hoorah for A #1!!! :) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

One of my top five most wanted films previously MIA on R1 DVD! The scene of Lee Marvin beating up three scrappy young'uns with a live chicken (!) alone cements the film's place as one of the greatest in cinema history!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
It's great to see that A No. 1 is finally coming to DVD! Fox has been surprising us lately with catalog releases from this era such as last month's The Last American Hero and the upcoming The Panic in Needle Park. There aren't many supplements, but the prices reflect this. Please keep them coming. Hope to see Fox shine the light on Noel Black's similarly aged, similarly obscure Pretty Poison.

I hope to see these other '70s Lee Marvin films (not from Fox) soon:
The Spikes Gang
Pocket Money
Monte Walsh

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Incidentally, regarding the video release history of this film, yes it is now widely available on VHS, but this was not the case for many years.

I did read on an old movie discussion forum years ago that the film was available on VHS, in the 80s-90s, from CBS/Fox, but that it was marketed only to the train hobbyist market. I understand the rationale of targeting a core audience, but it always seemed strange that Fox would bypass everyone else.

From a 1998 posting from alt.cult.movies:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I seem to have a vague recollection of hearing that. Probably, just another remake that I'll avoid though.

It's the same release date for the Ford/Wayne box and the new "Big Top Edition of Dumbo"

Honestly, I'm surprised that some marketing person didn't decide to skip that release date for fear of controversy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks