What's new

Emergency! Coming To DVD Tuesday- Whos Buying? (2 Viewers)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
It was put in for the DVD; that's been done for the past year or so with all of Universal's TV DVD sets. It's NOT a syndication thing.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Yes. The DVDs released this year at least have all had the Universal logo up front and have taken out the Universal/MCA/NBC Universal logo at the end of the episodes.

Jim Saunders

Agent
Thanks to both Jeffs. One for providing the info and explanation, and the other for the concise explanation on why we questioned him.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Damn. Just watched the pilot and first two eps. DVD would freeze up briefly throughout the two episodes. Oddly, when I backed up the disc and ran back over the same part, no problem. So it's not a physical problem with the disc.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Here's an extremely petty gripe (but something that kinda bugs me nonetheless) -- Both the Emergency! and Adam-12 slipcases have the opening on what I consider the wrong (left) side. :frowning:

Which is very odd, because the photos of the box specifically show the spine on the left (with the opening therefore on the right side). The DVD-Profiler image of Adam-12 also shows the spine text on the left. Odd.

It feels backwards to have the openings on the left. Akin to having a book open up on the left; and what publishing company would ever do a silly thing like that? Answer: None.

But, on the bright (packaging) Univ. side -- I like the overall design of the "Adam/Emerg." sets. The Emergency set has nice raised (title) lettering on the front which I did not expect to see; while the Adam-12 box is a totally different texture from the Emergency set, with the super-glossy/slick look & feel to it.

Haven't watched any of the programs yet. (Still pouting about that damn bass-ackward box opening!) :) (j/k.)

Katherine_K

Second Unit

Ah, but Universal packaging oddity strikes again. I've decided that they're trying to find every different and odd way to package DVDs. None of the Law and Order sets have had two consecutive sets packaged the same way.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

It seems so. Just one more small way to annoy the masses it would appear. Plus, as I mentioned before, the actual texture of the two packages (comparing Emerg. & Adam-12 I mean) are totally different.

I hope this constant changing doesn't indicate that I'll be having to grab my Leave It To Beaver discs from the bottom of the slipcase (a la VHS tape sleeves).

They've placed the openings everywhere else -- I guess we can expect the bottom (and top) of the box next. :frowning:

But I still think it's very odd that the photos of Emerg. & Adam show it exactly the opposite of the way they made the boxes. (A spiteful box teaser it would appear, to make people think the packaging is "normal" with the correctly-placed side opening. I'm nearly certain that wiseguy Eddie Haskell is in charge of the TV-DVD dept. @ Universal. He must be.)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

Actually, look at the 2003-2004 Seasons of the Law & Order shows. They come out...the top AND the bottom!

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Well, they haven't made it come from the front of the case...oh, wait, doesn't the first season of The Munsters open at first at least from the front of the case? Yes!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
A little more insight into the opening theme....

I recently watched Emergency! in syndication back in 2003. Unfortunately, I can't recall what station carried it but I remember the beginning pretty vividly.

While I haven't looked at the DVD yet, the opening always had the bass line JeffWld spoke of with a series of radio calls. The picture would freeze as the screen credit appeared for each actor. I've only seen the show in syndication, so it is possible that the theme evolved as the seasons went on.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just getting to the second episode. I can't argue with Jeff about the opening theme, since I don't have the original broadcasts recorded, but I do know that what is on the DVD is not just the standard opening with the end music overdubbed. The credit sequence is totally different from the one I'm used to. The one I know has a lot of freeze frames. The one that sticks out is a part where either Johnny or Roy pops the top off an IV needle, with a freeze of that action. The opening sequence here shows each character in dialog moments probably taken from the pilot episode, with no freezes.

Anyway, let's give a hurrah for unreplaced music! When Johnny and Roy go to rescue the heart attack victim in the episode "Mascot," a version of Jobim's "Meditation" can be heard in the background! I don't know if Universal just missed that that was an actual song, or if Universal's orchestra recorded the version and they owned it free and clear. Once that song ends, the brief snippets played of the next song made it sound to me like it was an instrumental version of "Our Day Will Come."

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
My mind remembers that as the show went on over the years the credits changed. They got shorter. When it went into syndication the shorter credits were used on all the episodes. So we are seeing it as it was in 1972...best as i recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks