Email: Return Receipts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Anyone else get peeved when someone at works emails you with the "Return Receipt" option turned on so they'll know when you read their email? It bugs me when it's dealing with them wanting you to do something for them, and it sure doesn't get them on my good side when they use this email feature to hold the "assignment" over my head.

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Sorry Patrick but I use this on almost EVERY single email I have which relates to work that needs to be done by someone else for me to get my job done. It has helped me to cover my ass on more then a couple occasions. IS people are very quick to shift blame when it comes to timeline short falls. [​IMG]
    KyleS

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Outlook: Options, preferences, Email options, Tracking options, bottom of screen: (o) Ask me before sending a response. Click OK. Be happy, you can now deny you ever received a piece of email with a return receipt. [​IMG]
    There is a secretary in our organization that requests return receipts for EVERYTHING. She routinely sends out information to the entire building like, "So and so is sick today.", along with a return receipt. Pisses me off.

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I only ever request it when its urgent and there's no other way to contact the person. Otherwise if its really important, get up off your big a$$ and find them or call them.

Just my 2 cents.

Patrick

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

The mail client we use at the office (CE Software's QuickMail Pro) is great because it allows you to "peek" at messages without ever opening them. [​IMG] If I do choose to open the message, I can delete the return receipt before it ever gets sent out. [​IMG]

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    What Ryan said. I never let read receipts go automatically. If I feel it's warranted, I'll click yes. But for most mail, always no.

7. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I only use it on a second or third email when a person is being unresponsive, but never to hold it over their head. We use Lotus Notes here at work, and you can view email in a "preview pane" without actually opening it; that doesn't trigger the read receipt.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

We also use Notes, and it was my understanding that by viewing the email in the preview pane, the return receipt dealio is triggered.

9. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I find it annoying also.

11. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

12. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I don't think Return Receipt works on all email clients. It certainly works on Outlook and Outlook Express, and Lotus Notes (though I don't know if it works for Internet mail via Notes) though.

Lately, I've been sending my resumes out in response to openings listed on Monster.com etc. with Return Receipt requested, and have yet to get a return receipt. Either no one ever opens emails with resumes, or they disable return receipt, or they use email clients that don't support it. In any case, I wish I'd get some kind of indication that they opened my email.

KJP

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

14. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

15. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

16. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

17. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

18. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

I always request "return receipts" for everything at work. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone give me an excuse for not knowing about some bit of important information, but I have documentation that they READ the email.

Until recently, I didn't realize that it could be shut off at home (ie, I can refuse to send return receipts)... I wonder how many spams I've gotten and inadvertanly send them a return receipt and thus they know they've hit a "valid" address. Sigh.

-Steve

19. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

20. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter