What's new

Elusive Disc taking pre-orders on Diana Krall *When I Look In Your Eyes* SACD. $15! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This week's Elusive Disc e-mail ad (received 10/22) has the following SACDs available for pre-order:
Ryan Adams Gold - Lost Highway Records Single-Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $14.99
Bon Jovi Bounce - Island Single-Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $14.99
Al Jarreau All I Got - GRP Single-Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $14.99
Diana Krall When I Look In Your Eyes - Verve Single-Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $14.99
It is amazing that these will be single-layer SACDs. Universal is going backwards. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: At least they are cheap. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the Krall SACD. I thought Universal had announced that The Look of Love was coming out on SACD. That's fine. I prefer When I Look In Your Eyes anyway. :) On a sidenote, I have not heard the new Bon Jovi album, but I would love to see Slippery When Wet come out on SACD. Hopefully it will.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Boy, Bon Jovi on sacd...hhmmmm I think I will definitely wait on some reviews. I watched the free concert on Directv and was not impressed. I am getting to the point that I don't mind if they are single channel layer anymore. The more I listen the more I seem to like 2 channel,,,,, well this week anyway:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I forgot this. Are the four titles listed by Elusive Disc all from Universal? I assume so since they are all single-layer discs and are each $14.99.
I am a bit confused on the Krall title. As I said in the first post, I thought The Look of Love is coming out on SACD, but Elusive Disc claims to be taking pre-orders on When I Look In Your Eyes. Here is the link:
http://elusivedisc.com/findprod.asp?...tem=1&mitem=33
Universal's web site says that The Look of Love will be out on SACD on October 29th. Go to the link below, put your cursor over the SACD logo, and click on "RELEASES".
Link Removed
Are both Krall titles coming out on SACD? I've never heard that one. Anyway, there is some great stuff shown on the Universal web site, but none of the four titles listed for pre-order in Elusive Disc's weekly e-mail ad are shown. What's going on?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan, single-layer does not mean that the SACDs only have stereo tracks. Single-layer means that there is no CD layer. A single-layer SACD can still have stereo and multi-channel SACD tracks. All of Sony's multi-channel SACDs are considered single-layer discs. However, most other labels are releasing hybrid discs, which contain both CD and SACD layers. These discs are labeled as hybrid stereo, meaning that the SACD layer only has a stereo track, or hybrid multi-channel, meaning that the SACD layer has both stereo and multi-channel tracks.

Note that the Diana Krall When I Look In Your Eyes SACD, which Elusive Disc is supposedly taking pre-orders for, is said to be a single-layer SACD with both stereo and multi-channel SACD tracks. This would make it a Sony-type multi-channel SACD.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Here are some other goodies that are scheduled to be released in t upcoming months that I will buy and therefore so should all of you:
John Lee Hooker- Boogie Chillun', hybrid stereo
While there are a couple of cool DADs of his later music, this is the first high-res release of his old, classic stuff. I love Hooker, how can you not?
Sonny Clark Trio- A Session with Sonny Clark, hybrid stereo
Clark is the funkiest and an overlooked hard bop pianist, but man do I love him. Fans of Hank Mobley, Grant Green, and Art Blakey will dig this stuff. With Max Roach on drums! I haven't heard this one before, so this will be a nice treat.
Tommy Turentine plus Max Roach Quintet- hybrid stereo
A rather obscure title, but you can't go wrong with Roach. Another new one for me.
John Coltrane- A Love Supreme- single-layer stereo
Who is this John Coltrane fellow, and what is this Love Supreme I keep hearing about?;)
Stan Getz / Gilberto- single layer stereo
Yes, that first track, in Muzak style, is the one they use in elevators and waiting rooms. A pleasant if dated set of bossa nova music.
Ella & Louis- single layer stereo
If you don't know which Ella and Louis I'm talking about here, then shame on you. Go to sleep without your dinner.
Muddy Waters- Folk Singer- single layer stereo
THE ultimate blues man.
Sarah Harmer- You Were Here- hybrid stereo
Thelonious Monk- 5 by 5- hybrid stereo
This one has been delayed more times than Gangs of New York. I want it, I want it!
Buddy Rich- The Best Band I Ever Had- hybrid stereo
Greatest drummer ever? Musicians seem to think so. He sure could swing.
Cal Tjader- Latin + Jazz
Tjader's Latin jazz was usually more heavy on the "jazz" than on the "Latin," but I enjoy what I've heard.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Do you know if the Hooker release is what S. Hoffman has been working on or is this something else?

Thanks for posting the other titles.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
Well, if you are buying those discs, then I will have to. It's all about keeping up with the Broadmans. ;)
Anyone have info. on Diana Krall on SACD? I am confident (as confident as you will see me) that we will see The Look of Love on SACD since Universal has it on its web site for release next Tuesday (10/29). However, I still don't know what is up with When I Look In Your Eyes.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Keith,

Dan, single-layer does not mean that the SACDs only have stereo tracks. Single-layer means that there is no CD layer. A single-layer SACD can still have stereo and multi-channel SACD tracks. All of Sony's multi-channel SACDs are considered single-layer discs. However, most other labels are releasing hybrid discs, which contain both CD and SACD layers. These discs are labeled as hybrid stereo, meaning that the SACD layer only has a stereo track, or hybrid multi-channel, meaning that the SACD layer has both stereo and multi-channel tracks
Thank you, lots of brain farts lately!!!!!!!

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Keith,
Looks like When I Look In Your Eyes is in the "Coming Soon" (Link Removed) section. Cool!
Joe

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I'm so glad I jumped on the SACD bandwagon also...I have DVD-A , but there's not much of a selection like SACD's!!

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Definitely getting expensive round' here, but without the software titles what would be the point of it all?

I think the Hooker title is by Hoffman. Don't forget about the other upcoming ones from him like The Zombies, Ritchie Valens & the other CCR's.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I have the CD version of "When I Look In Your Eyes" and find it to be a very compelling recording. I wonder if getting the SACD, even at the reduced price, is worth it. I wonder what kind of improvement I'll be looking at. If the improvement from Redbook to SACD layers is comparable to that of Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Texas Flood" then it will be worth it. If it's comparable to that of Alison Krauss's "New Favorite", then it won't.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Wonder why Peter Gabriel's "Up" isn't on Elusive, when it's listed alongside "Gold" and "Bounce" on Universal's site.

Guess it's been pushed back, maybe to coincide with the SACD releases of the rest of the PG catalog (he said with naive hope).

Ryan

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I just checked the Elusive Disc site and found under Stereo/Multichannel SACD section that both Diana Krall SACDs Keith mentioned are for pre-order. Furthermore, it states that The Look of Love is going to be a Hybrid SACD at $17.99.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mike & John.

John Lee Hooker/Boogie Chillen SACD (AFSA005). Covers '48-54 period. Even though you may find listings for this as a hybrid "stereo" SACD, on S. Hoffman's forum he clearly states that these are full track "mono" recordings. So I assume that is how they will be released.

Elusive has it up as a late Nov release and I can't seem to find it elsewhere. IMHO, the Audio Fidelity SACD covers really need some design work - this cover looks terrible!

FWIW, Hoffman also mentions on his forum that it will also be released in vinyl.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the Audio Fidelity covers are really ugly and cheap-looking. The look like something from the bargain bin at K-Mart, not a premium audiophile label.

Ryan

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
I just tried to post a thread over at the Hoffman forum about the Audio Fidelty cover designs for the upcoming releases. It was taken down by the admin, on the grounds that it was inappropriate to be critical of the Forum's sponsor.

Its a shame that it isn't possible to provide both positive & negative feedback on Audio Fidelty work over there. Makes me wonder if anyone is going to be able to say they didn't like a particular mix, etc.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Yeah, and I tried to respond (and agree) but the thread was already gone before I could hit "submit."

Disappointing.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks