What's new

Elusive Disc taking pre-orders on Diana Krall *When I Look In Your Eyes* SACD. $15! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan,
No problem. It happens. :)
Joe,
Thanks. I was hoping that Krall titles would be coming to SACDs. I missed When I Look In Your Eyes on Universal's web site. Very cool.
John said:
Definitely getting expensive round' here, but without the software titles what would be the point of it all?
Exactly.
Evan,
Music aside, the When I Look In Your Eyes CD sounds great. However, I detect a hint of digital glare in Krall's vocals. Perhaps remastering and DSD treatment will smooth this out some.
It is disappointing that you don't find Alison Krauss New Favorite to be much better on SACD than on CD. I still want to get this SACD, though. Some have said the SACD is a must-have. :confused:
Marty,
I don't understand what Universal is doing. Rhetorical question time. Why the single-layer SACDs all of a sudden? Perhaps Universal got tired of waiting for the hybrid-disc press facilities to open up while the Stones SACDs were being produced. I don't know.
Lee,
I am definitely glad to see A Love Supreme coming to SACD. Well, I really hope that Universal delivers on this one.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I was also under the impression that the Krall SACDs were to be hybrids. If not, then they go to the bottom of my "to-buy" list.

If these companies actually want this format to succeed, then I'm at a loss to understand their marketing strategy. While those of us here may care most for sound quality, it's plainly evident that the rest of the world prefers portability and flexibility over all other considerations. If these discs can be purchased and enjoyed by any consumer on whatever equipment they own, even if all they have is a Walkman or stock-issue car stereo, then there's a good chance the format will survive.

Portable, backwards-compatible, and completely idiot-proof ("why doesn't this diana krall disc play in my hyundai?") just might do it.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Keith, please do not take my comments on the Alison Krauss to be a knock on that SACD at all!!! What I am trying to say is that the SACD layer sounds fabulous...it's the best SACD in my collection! However, the Redbook layer is absolutely the best redbook recording I have ever heard on CD (and I have over 600 CD's) Again, this is simply my opinion, but I think it's that good. In comparison to the SACD layer, it's very close. There is a definate improvement on the SACD layer, but if I already owned the Redbook, I doubt it would be considered $15 worth of improvement. That's the point I am trying to make. Is the SACD of Krall's "When I Look In Your Eyes" $15 worth of improvement on what I consider an excellent redbook recording?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan,
Fair point. Some CDs sound great on their own. New Favorite is certainly one such CD, as are the Diana Krall CDs and Chesky CDs I own. However, SACD is SACD. :) I already have New Favorite on CD, but I will be getting the SACD. Ditto for the Krall titles.
Rich,
I understand your frustration. It's bad enough that Universal is releasing single-layer SACDs. What I don't understand is why they are releasing some titles on hybrid discs and others on single-layer discs. What is that all about? Krall's The Look of Love will be on a hybrid SACD, while When I Look in Your Eyes will be on a single-layer SACD. I don't get it.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
They're probably experimenting at this early stage to see what the most profitable combination is. I'll bet they're wondering if the added cost of making a hybrid is worth it in terms of added sales.
Remember that Universal's early DVDs were a mish-mash of jewel boxes, keep cases, non-anamorphic, anamorphic, pan-and-scan, SEs, barebones, and everything else under the sun. Sounds like they're using the same "throw it all at the wall and see what sticks" philosophy here.
Of course, if they were listening to me, they'd just start issuing hybrids instead of standard CDs, but no one asked me yet. :)
Ryan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, I did not follow Universal's early foray into the DVD-Video market. It's frustrating to see Universal experiment that way. Let's say Universal concludes that hybrid discs are more "popular" due to better sales of those discs relative to single-layer discs (which could be an erroneous conclusion; more on that in a moment). Are they going to reissue the single-layer discs as hybrids? The problem they face is separating the effects of album popularity and disc format popularity (single-layer or hybrid) on sales figures (high or low). Perhaps Universal should include cards with each SACD urging consumers to vote online for their favorite format.
At first, I thought Universal's decision to release single-layer SACDs might be due to the back-ups reported at the hybrid-disc pressing facilities caused by the large volume of Stones discs being pressed. However, it is the later Universal SACDs that are coming out as single-layer discs. The SACDs slated to come out this Tuesday (10/29) will be hybrids. Anyway, I still say that Universal is moving backwards with the release of single-layer discs. Now Sony is not alone. :frowning:

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Perhaps Universal should include cards with each SACD urging consumers to vote online for their favorite format.
If I recall correctly, they did put mail-repsonse cards in the early DVDs for much that same purpose.

I share your frustration. I can only hope that increased hybrid production capacity will make single-layer discs less atractive.

Ryan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, thanks. I hope Universal does poll consumers with respect to SACD types. I would certainly vote for hybrid discs.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
DVD Empire is selling Diana Krall's SACD The Look of Love for $14.24, the same price as the redbook release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks