What's new

First batch of Universal SACDs in stock at Elusive Disc. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Piers, I think the discussions here, for which I am in part responsible, have created an atmosphere in which buying a single-layer SACD is unforgivable. You are not a social pariah! ;) I wish all SACDs were released as hybrids, but I will definitely buy a single-layer disc if I like the music enough. I own many single-layer SACDs, as the majority of the SACDs in my collection are Sony titles.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Piers, I can see why you'd buy the Muddy Waters. I'm not sure it's even in-print on CD...? I got it on Mobile Fidelity Gold CD some years ago because that was the only way to get it then. I'm not sure now...
Keith, let's hope your de-evolution theory doesn't come true! This format will never evolve in the first place without hybrids. Let's hope these Universal releases are only because hybrid capacity is so limited at the moment. My SACD collection has e-e-evolved the other direction than your's. 1/3 or less of my collection is Sony. Joe S's STRANGE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC and the Jorma K. albums are the only thing I've gotten from So-ny lately. The competition usually wins, Rounder, Telarc, Analogue Productions, DMP, Groove Note, Chesky...they got my biz. Best wishes! :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael said:

Let's hope these Universal releases are only because hybrid capacity is so limited at the moment.
I would like to think so, but time will tell.

While most of the SACDs in my collection are Sony titles, many on my wantlist are hybrids.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Oh, baby! We've got some great titles from Universal in the first batch. Then the second batch will supposedly give us Coltrane A Love Supreme and Krall When I Look In Your Eyes (old news, but I had to mention it anyway :)). Now this, according to Stereophile:
According to the label, other artists slated for future release include: Peter Gabriel, The Wallflowers, Steely Dan, Three Doors Down, The Police, Marvin Gaye, Shaggy, The Roots, and The Who.
Gabriel, The Wallflowers, Steely Dan, The Police, and The Who! Wow! I'm assuming that the Steely Dan title will be Gaucho, but I want Aja. As for The Wallflowers, I hope Universal releases Bringin' Down the Horse on SACD. This is going to be great! :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
By the way, note that the Stereophile article mentions the possibility of Dark Side of the Moon coming to DVD-Audio:

Some possible good news for DVD-Audio fans was revealed this week as well. The Digital Bits is reporting that, according to Roger Water's manager, Mark Fenwick, EMI will release Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon as a DVD-A disc on the album's 30th anniversary, March 3, 2003 (or 3/3/03).

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
By the way, note that the Stereophile article mentions the possibility of Dark Side of the Moon coming to DVD-Audio
It cites the same source of Digital Bits.
I really think with EMI also on Super Audio, they may do a dual release on DVDA and SACD like they have done before with big rock titles.
:)

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Gabriel, The Wallflowers, Steely Dan, The Police, and The Who! Wow! I'm assuming that the Steely Dan title will be Gaucho, but I want Aja. As for The Wallflowers, I hope Universal releases Bringin' Down the Horse on SACD. This is going to be great!
Yep, I'm looking forward to a lot of those. The Who title will likely be the recently released stereo version of My Generation, since Shel Talmy mentioned that he prepared CD and DSD versions at the same time.

Gaucho was announced for SACD release ages ago, so I think you're probably right on that count.

Wonder what Police album they're releasing. Hope it's Synchroncity or Ghost, and not some cheesy best-of. (I love the earlier albums, but I figure those two would benefit most from the SACD treatment.)

Ryan

KrisM

Second Unit
Rachael, the Muddy Waters disc is available on cd. It says it is remastered on the cover, but I don't know how it stacks up against the Mobile Fidelity version.(one of my favorite discs) It also has a couple of extra tracks. A&B Sound sells it really cheap, about $6.00CDN. I've thought about picking one up to use in my truck.
I would be curious how the SACD compares to the Mobile Fidelity release.

Regards
KrisM

NP - Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, thanks I was feeling like an outcast here thanks to you (kidding)! ;)
Rachael, I'm sure the MF release is really good - I had forgotten that they had put that out. I have their release of Jimmy Reed @ Carnegie Hall which is great stuff.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, first of all, I am not at all convinced that Dark Side of The Moon will come out on SACD. There has been zero talk about that in the press. However, if it does, hopefully it will be an international release. For some reason, Virgin has not released certain SACDs in the US. Human League Dare and Simple Minds Best of Simple Minds are two such SACDs. Of course, Dark Side of The Moon is a blockbuster title, and it would be stupid for Virgin to restrict its distribution.
I too was thinking that we would see The Who My Generation on SACD due to Shel Talmy's announcement a few months ago.
As for The Police, Synchronicity or Ghost in The Machine would be a very welcome addition to the SACD family. :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
No one wants to hear the perspective of being on stage like several DVD-Audio discs
Speak for yourself. I have quite a few excellent DVD-As that do exactly that and they are a joy to listen to.
Pieres, I wasn't even aware of the deluxe edition of A Love Supreme. If I get that, it wouldn't bother me that the SACD is single layer, since this would have all that extra stuff. This deluxe thing is probably similar to the newer versions of Ballads and Coltrane that feature a second disc of bonus goodies. I also notice that they are listing four tracks instead of three- Pursuance and Psalm are seperate tracks, which does make more sense.
Maybe I'm more forgiving than most, but I could live with the single layer stuff. However, this means it will be longer until I order something like the Muddy Waters or the Ella & Louis SACD, since I'd want to have the CDs first. However, I could end up ordering the Diana Krall hybrid earlier even though I like her music less, just because I would have universal playability.
But damnit, I hate you guys. I just ordered from elusive disc and now I have to order another bunch of stuff.:angry: ;)

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
My understanding is that this Deluxe Edition is just a regular CD, but it would be nice if we eventually see it even as a single layer SACD as you suggest.
I guess this has become an "enabling" thread for elusive disc junkies! ;)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused about the various "A Love Supreme" editions.

Will the SACD version be from the same master as the first disc of the CD special edition? And will the second disc stuff on the CD-SE be included on the SACD release?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Rich, this seems like what will be released:

Deluxe edition regular CD, where the first disc is the album and the second is the bonus stuff.

Single-layer SACD of just the album.

NP: Turina & Debussy, SACD

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Mike B:
I'll second your "speak for yourself" comment regarding stage perspective surround recordings (whether on SACD or dvd-audio).
I thought the point of quality music reproduction was to hear it as well as possible. Who cares if all the sound doesn't originate from the front? Being in the center of music is an (not sure of the correct adjective here) enriching?, joyful?, fun? experience. On my AIX dvd-audio sampler there is a track featuring an acapella choir in a circle around the listener. Holy crap, all those beautiful voices surrounding you is a just an awesome thing to hear!!!
Who cares if in a concert hall they won't sell you a ticket to a seat on the stage--and anyway how many times do you buy a seat as far as possible from the performers? Personally, I like to be CLOSE as possible to my favorite band or vocalist.
AIX's (sort of) free dvd-audio sampler with lots of stage perspective mixes: http://www.aixrecords.com/catalog/sampler.html
LJ

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I tend to agree with Mike and Lance, with some qualification (that they implied, probably). It all has to do with artists' intent, and it also has to do with archival.

1) If a current artist records an album and they envision it in surround, whether it places me on stage or inside a complex synthesizer, if that artist has talent and vision, and it comes through, I'm going to like it for sure. Even if the music is traditionally viewed in an audience "behind the music".

2) If an album already exists, and has been heard and loved in one format (traditionally 2-ch), by all means that format should be preserved. SACD is an archival format, as I view DVD to be for movies) so it should be the bestest copy of The Great Albums/Performances in the format known and loved. Now it gets a little gray for me when the original artists go back and play with it, a la Queen DVD-A. In this case, a member of the band with clear vision and talent and original stake wants us to be surrounded by voices, etc. I'm hesitantly for it, as long as there is a stereo mix available as close to the original mix as possible.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Lance, that acapella surround thing is called Zephyr. It's a cool disc. Singing ain't usually my thing, but this is done really well. It certainly is a unique recording. I don't like all the songs, but the ones I do like are a blast to hear.

If you're into surround "stage" type perspectives, check out Tacet's classical DVD-As.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks