What's new

First batch of Universal SACDs in stock at Elusive Disc. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I received the weekly e-mail newsletter from Elusive Disc today, and in it was an announcement that the first batch of Universal SACDs are in stock. Here is the list of titles with prices:

Muddy Waters Folk Singer - Chess/MCA Single Layer Stereo SACD $14.99

Beethoven Symphony #9 - Decca Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Dvorak Slavonic Dances - Decca Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

James Horner A Beautiful Mind - Decca U.S. Single Layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD $14.99

John Williams E.T. Soundtrack - MCA Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Andrea Bocelli Cieli di Toscana - Phillips Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Fitzgerald & Armstrong Ella & Louis - Verve Single Layer Stereo SACD $14.99

Stan Getz Getz-Gilberto - Verve Single Layer Stereo SACD $14.99

Natalie Cole Ask A Woman Who Knows - Verve Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Diana Krall The Look of Love - Verve Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACD $17.99

Good stuff, and available!

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I'm with you Rachael, non-hybrid limits my options. Especially when we're talking just stereo as in Muddy, Ella & Louis. Scratches head and thinks about this...
Keith, they also posted the Audio Fidelity R. Valens (S. Hoffman's work) hybrid stereo for pre-order. http://elusivedisc.com/findprod.asp?...tem=1&mitem=23
I just listened to the Hoffmanized CCR hybrids and feel his work warrants the hoopla.
Seth_S, you piss on Muddy? What you thinking?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John,

I was not aware that the Valens SACD is up for pre-order already. Ritchie Valens is not really my thing, but I would be curious to hear what Steve Hoffman can do with such older recordings.

John and Rachael,

I agree that Universal's release of some titles on single-layer discs is disturbing. At least some of them are hybrids.

Seth,

What kind of music do you like? There is great stuff in that list (jazz, blues, and classical). Perhaps SACD isn't for you? Have a nice day.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
If you're more into pop/rock, the next wave from Universal will include Ryan Adams and Bon Jovi. Peter Gabriel and Beck are on deck, but apparently not in the next wave, since they're not listed at Elusive yet.
Link Removed
Ryan

Seth_S

Second Unit
KeithH,

I listen to classical music, and pretty much the entire classical community is unimpressed with Universal's SACD releases (checkout DG's and Iclassics' msg boards). Let's look at what DG is giving us.

-Beethoven/Sym. 9/Karajan/BPO/DG
DG knows that Karajan's texture obsessed Beethoven is a matter of taste, yet I'm sure that some suite at Universal demanded that not only one of their first SACDs be Beethoven's 9th, but that it be conducted by Karajan.

-Dvorak/Slavonic Dances/Fischer/BFO/Decca
Sony has already released the long time definitive recording of the Slavonic Dances on SACD (Szell/Cleveland), so it's just hard to get excited about this release.

So that's it, those 2 recordings represent all the Universal Classical SACD releases. The future is just as bleak. Slated to be released next is Ozawa conducting the 2002 New Year's Concert - do we really need J. Strauss in surround sound?, then Terfel singing Wagner Arias - how about releasing a Wagner Opera on SACD instead of a self-promotional disc?, and Bartoli singing Gluck - ditto. And after that, Universal plans on releasing Karajan/Mozart/Requiem - easily one of Universal's weakest recordings of the Requiem, Beethoven/Complete Sonatas/Mutter/Orkis - finally a decent recording, Dvorak/Syms 8 & 9/Fischer - again, it's hard to get excited about these recordings when Sony has already released Szell's long time classic recordings of the last three symphonies; Kubelik's Dvorak would have made more sense.

Universal Music seems to be picking classical SACD releases that are by conductors that they perceive to be mainstream, and recordings which were made in the last 10 years (with the exception of the Karajan recordings, but they were actually recorded for surround sound). Music by late romantic conductors would benefit most from SACD because of the massive orchestral and choral forces that conductors like Mahler, R. Struass, Wagner and Bruckner called for. Yet none of these composers have anything being released on SACD. Furthermore, Universal still seems to be holding a grudge against John Eliot Gardiner. Out of his 200 some heavily popular period instrument recordings, none of them are slated for release - many would be perfect for SACD. In fact, Universal seems to have no plans of releasing recordings by most of their greatest conductors, such as Bohm, Jochum, Kubelik and Haitink.

Surprisingly, Sony Music has the right methodology for classical music on SACD. They're simply releasing the very best recordings in their catalogue.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Seth,

Fair enough. I am not a big classical music fan myself, but I recognize that Sony has put out some great titles.

Ryan,

Have you heard the new Bon Jovi album, Bounce, I believe it's called? I first am curious if it's a good album, and also whether it is worthy of SACD treatment.

I sincerely hope we see Peter Gabriel on SACD and DVD-Audio.

Seth_S

Second Unit
Lee Scoggins,

On J. Strauss and SACD:

Ok, so you listen to his waltzes in 2 channel SACD. My point is, that the New Year's concert is probably one of the least deserving recordings to be among the first SACD releases.

What the classical music industry hasn't learned, is that releasing a Beethoven recording won't generate higher than normal sales simply because it's Beethoven. Universal's classical SACD release strategy total ignores their consumer base, collectors who buy multiple classical CDs each month. Like Sony, the first thing they should do is working on getting the people who keep the classical industry alive to switch to SACD. After that, then worry about trying to appeal to the masses. From talking to people, Universal's current strategy is clearly failing to convert hardcore collectors to from CD to SACD.

DennisK

Agent
Is the Diana Krall disc actually a hybrid multichannel disc? Circuit City lists it as single layer and doesn't mention whether it's multichannel. I also saw it on the web as a multichannel hybrid disc as it's listed here. I wanted to make sure it's multichannel before I order it. Circuit's web site has it for $13.99.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, my understanding is that The Look of Love is a hybrid multi-channel disc. That is what Elusive Disc's web site says, and they are usually spot on. When I Look In Your Eyes, which is now available for pre-order, will supposedly be a single-layer multi-channel disc.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It gets even better with announced titles for November from Universal's press release:
Ryan Adams – Gold, Bon Jovi – Bounce, Diana Krall - When I Look in Your Eyes, Al Jarreau - All I Got, Quincy Jones - Ultimate Collection, John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, Anne-Sophie Mutter - Beethoven: The Complete Sonatas, Steve Earle - Guitar Town

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Do any of these discs have a CD layer?

I'm not sure if "hybrid" refers to a CD/SACD disc, or just stereo-SACD/MC-SACD.

Also, what are the general prices in Canada?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Marc, a hybrid is an SACD with a CD layer. The SACD layer could be stereo or have stereo and multi-channel. Best wishes!:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Keith, I'd buy Getz-Gilberto and Muddy Waters if they were hybrids. I'm getting disillusiond with Universal already. I hope slugish sales of the single-layer discs convinces them to do all hybrids, real soon! Best wishes!:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, a number of the Universal titles interest me, but I too am disappointed that some of them single-layer discs. Universal is sending us a mixed message, so to speak. I'm wondering if Universal will eventually reissue those single-layer titles on hybrid discs. Gee, maybe they will do the opposite. Maybe they will reissue the hybrids on single-layer discs. :rolleyes

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
I've pre-ordered the Muddy Waters disc from Amazon a few weeks ago. Its a shame its not a hybrid, but I did go ahead and place the order anyway. Simply, I didn't have the album and was interested in hearing the SACD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks