What's new

Elton John, Rush, and Sting coming to SACD!! (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Excellent!

And to think I almost bid on an MFSL "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" yesterday, and planned to bid hard for a UD1 MFSL that just popped up on eBay! I s'pose I can wait till the fall for some hi-rez Elton. :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Rush - 2112 (5.1 Surround Sound Version) (Universal Chronicles)

Rush - All The World's A Stage (Universal Chronicles)

Rush - Caress Of Steel (Universal Chronicles)

Rush - Fly By Night (Universal Chronicles)

Rush - Rush (Universal Chronicles)

:emoji_thumbsup:

I hope they're hybrids, though this early report makes it sounds like they're not.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, that puts a damper on my hunt on E-bay for some of the Rush Remasters that I do not yet have.

I was just about to start a thread asking if the MFSL version of Signals is better than the current Remaster. I guess its still a valid question since Signals is not on teh SACD list, but methinks it will be at some point in the future.

And 2112 in 5.1 ought to be very cool in deed.

But lets not forget EJ's GYR. Also an instant buy.

When I read release news like this, I start chanting:

I AM GLAD I BOUGHT A UNIVERSAL PLAYER

BGL

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Also of note, unless listed as a "Non-Hybrid SACD", all of the SACDs will be Hybrid discs with both an SACD and CD Audio layer for compatibility with CD Audio only players.
Good news! :emoji_thumbsup:

Too bad the later stuff will probably be DVD-A. :frowning:

Jason

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I am very excited about 2112. It's my favorite Rush toon. I don't really care if it's a hybrid because I was very happy with the last remaster, but I am totally psyched to hear it in surround. I am also looking forward to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Hopefully some SACD 5.1 Best of's aren't far behind because I am not a completist for either Rush or Elton.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It seems like not too long ago I replaced by original Rush CDs with the remasters. Now I may be doing it again with hybrid SACDs.

Still, it's better than non-hybrids.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
All three artists are among my favorites.

This is huge news and will propel the format forward.

I think we will start to see more retailer acceptance as a result of this. This is a big commitment by the label.

:) :D :cool:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Holy shit! Joe Henderson's Lush Life!!! is coming?!

Great album from someone I briefly worked with and I miss a whole lot. A class act - one of the greats. Let's hope there are more of his catalog on the way.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Okay, this has pushed me over the edge. I can't live in a world where there's HiRez Rush and I can't play it.

Can someone recommend either a low priced SACD player or a reasonably priced Universal? I could use this as an audio only player if there's a cheap player out there that's good for audio but so-so for video. I'd like to stay in the $500 range but I'm somewhat flexible. Cheaper is better these days.

If they announce A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres I'll fall out of my chair. :)

Zane Charron

Second Unit
That strikes me kind of bizarrely that they would issue the first 5 Rush albums on SACD. Why the early ones? Seems a better idea, from both a sales point AND a fan point, to release something like 2112, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals and something else as the first five.

Hey, I'm happy about it, don't get me wrong, but it just seems weird. I mean, "Take a Friend" in multi-channel SACD? Come on. :D

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Two weeks ago I paid 32.00 for an MFSL CD of Yellow Brick Road on Ebay. This is truly great news. Seeing YBR is on the Island label, maybe just maybe some U2 SACD's are coming.

Greg

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
JimC - I picked up the Pioneer Elite 45a for $300 at a Magnolia Hi Fi demo sale. I wanted to get the Denon 2900 but I couldn't justify paying another $600, even though I am sure it's a better machine.

I agree with Zane since of the first 5 I will only be buying 2112. Bring on Moving Pictures and Signals and maybe a good Greatest Hits.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Larry. I've been over in A/V sources since that post and the 45a is currently on my short list. The 222es and the new 563a are also on that list. I'm looking at this as a audio only player so I don't really care about any of the video qualities.

As for which Rush albums are released first, I have no problem with it being the first 5. I'm part of the minority that really likes Caress of Steel. Fly by Night and 2112 are high on my list as well. I'll buy the other two, but they won't get too much play.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Right on re the Rush releases.

Jim_C:

Can someone recommend either a low priced SACD player or a reasonably priced Universal? I could use this as an audio only player if there's a cheap player out there that's good for audio but so-so for video. I'd like to stay in the $500 range but I'm somewhat flexible. Cheaper is better these days.
Sony's (I think now discontinued) entry-level SACD player is the DVP-NS755V. There are several threads that I know of right off the top of my head on this topic (since I've contributed to a few of them), and a few more to be found I'm sure if you search. Pioneer's 563A is getting a lot of attention: it is a ~$200 universal player, the first at that kind of price point.

Pioneer DV-563A Review

Best CD/HDCD/SACD/DVDA player for $500

Pioneer DV-563A?

Sidebar: In addition to MCA itself (The Pointer Sisters, early EJ) several labels that were predisposed to licensing their evergreen titles to MoFi are now part of the UMG monster (A&M - Sting, Bryan Adams and (80s era) John Hiatt; Verve - Billie's Body and Soul and Ella and Louis Again; Mercury - lotsa goodies from pre-90s Rush to Pyromania to Scarecrow and Songs From the Big Chair). With UMG stepping up their SACD release slate, guess it's time to start thinking about what to do with many of these Ultradiscs I have. Wait until I can a/b compare? Ebay 'em individually? As a big group? (Rich, I have a MoFi GYBR if you're still interested :D). But being a Rush hound, I'll probably keep the gold 2112, Signals and Moving Pictures. Anyone with a lot of Ultradisc titles now getting released on SACD have any thoughts/comments about what they're going to do?

With Rush in Rio skedded for release on September 23, it's shaping up to be an exciting fall for Rush fans.

Paul

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I will be picking up Elton John, and a couple of the Rush titles, and probably the Sting album as well. :emoji_thumbsup: Universal and :emoji_thumbsup: for more hi-res releases

This is huge news and will propel the format forward.

I think we will start to see more retailer acceptance as a result of this. This is a big commitment by the label.
Let's be fair and balanced here. We will have to wait and see if these releases "propel" any format forward. At this point such a statement is pure speculation, especially with regards to retailer acceptance. I hope they do propel SACD forward, but bigger releases have already come to SACD and have done little to place the format in the public eye.

J

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Two weeks ago I paid 32.00 for an MFSL CD of Yellow Brick Road on Ebay. This is truly great news.
Curious coincidence - a couple of weeks ago, I *sold* my MFSL of Yellow Brick Road on ebay. :D [It's okay Greg, in my case it was to a fellow Brit].

I must echo the sentiment that these discs had better have the choice of stereo or multichannel. Am I the only one to find the multichannel versions interesting, but not the versions I'd usually listen to?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This is great news! I'm just hoping that Universal gets around to releasing Rush Moving Pictures and Sting Dream of the Blue Turtles on SACD...and soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks