What's new

Egad! Does Sony 2ES perform well? (1 Viewer)

Mark.Louis

Stunt Coordinator
OK. I know the 2ES is not a "real" ES receiver, that it is mostly a rebadged DB1070, but that doesn't concern me. From my reading the DB1070 got really good reviews. Based on it's specs, it should do well. Do others know anything about this receiver's performance?

Receivers being considered...
Sony STR-DA2ES
H/K AVR520
Kenwood VR6070
Pioneer D811S (I know its cheaper, but value/$ can't be beat)

Thanks

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
LOL mark, you are gonna burrow yourself into the ground in confusion. It really can be confusing. You just need to go listen to them if you can. And you need to list what is important features you want. BTW, there is no such thing as a holy grail-perfect receiver, they all have some shortcomings or bugs. That has been my experience anyway. Like I pm'd you, that pioneer looks ok, but the THD of 1%. That goes well beyond the minimum for my recommendation. It's looks like a good entry level unit though. Sony gives industry leading 5yr warranty with their ES line as well.

Mark.Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Rick. Yeah, the Pioneer is being considered less now. Every time I think I am just about ready to bite the bullet on one, another comes into view.
I was alll gung-ho on the 6070, then the onecall guy told me about the AVR520 and their price...hands down, he said, its sound and build can't be beat (but it lacks EX!!!). The nearby CC's listening set-up is broken, so I can't listen to the AVR520.
so today I was gung-ho about the 520, ready to buy, when I saw an ad for the 2ES, which lists a few more surround sound specs, power, etc, for roughly the same price.
This is pathetic...I KNOW that once I buy something I'll be happy with it, but making that jump is difficult. I'm probably pissing everyone off here by asking so many questions...
Frodo never had it so hard...
The saga continues...

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Mark, the 2ES shares the same processing power as the higher DA4ES and is identical in that way. The 4ES might have a better power supply, etc. but the 2ES is definitely a very good receiver. It has preouts for all channels should you feel the need for better amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks