What's new

Edited shows on DVD-deal breaker? (2 Viewers)

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
One other exception to the rule, in which fan protests DID make a difference, was with HAWAII FIVE-O Season 10. Originally rushed to market with non-remastered transfers taken from uncut but muddy syndication prints, the fans complained, Amazon sales suffered, and the studio ultimately went back and created pristine HD-remastered transfers of Season 10 that were included in the Complete Series set.
Sometimes that does work when the studio that owns the release is affected and can make improvements. In this case, CBS really wants nothing to do with a show like Barnaby Jones.

I hoped for years that CBS would treat this series like Mannix or Streets of San Francisco and release it uncut and remastered. That would have been a dream come true for me. Now, I'm just grateful to have something I can watch and enjoy.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jeff*H said:
One other exception to the rule, in which fan protests DID make a difference, was with HAWAII FIVE-O Season 10. Originally rushed to market with non-remastered transfers taken from uncut but muddy syndication prints, the fans complained, Amazon sales suffered, and the studio ultimately went back and created pristine HD-remastered transfers of Season 10 that were included in the Complete Series set.

But was all that really done because of fan protests? I doubt it, because if they really were concerned about the fans wouldn't they have also distributed it as a single season release? That way all those fans doing the complaining that already owned seasons 1 through 9 could get it as well without having to rebuy all those earlier seasons over again in a complete series release?

My guess, they were only looking out for future syndication. What good would it do them to have one season in SD when the future would be syndicating the episodes in HD. After all, isn't that why they have been re-transferring so many series into HD while only releasing as SD DVD's. The timing was probably right to do the transfer and see if they could parlay that into some upgrades with a complete series as the only way to get it.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I may be wrong here, but if I am wrong then I am just stating my opinion. I side with you on this one Brad. I think CBS did not correct Hawaii Five-O because of fans. They did it because of future syndication and to get people who already bought the Seadon sets to have to double dip and get the Complete Series set in order to get remastered Season 10. It is my opinion that CBS intentionally released the non remastered Season 10 for this purpose. They could have released it right the first time like all the other 11 Seasons. In my opinion, it was intentional.

Take Care!

Robert

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
MCCLOUD said:
I may be wrong here, but if I am wrong then I am just stating my opinion. I side with you on this one Brad. I think CBS did not correct Hawaii Five-O because of fans. They did it because of future syndication and to get people who already bought the Seadon sets to have to double dip and get the Complete Series set in order to get remastered Season 10. It is my opinion that CBS intentionally released the non remastered Season 10 for this purpose. They could have released it right the first time like all the other 11 Seasons. In my opinion, it was intentional.

Take Care!

Robert

I think they just gambled on something and it backfired. If you consider that Rawhide S4, Bonanza S2, and Hawaii Five-O S10 all came out within an eleven month period (all without new transfers), it is possible they were just trying to speed up releases based on a general criticism that the releases were taking too long. It is also quite possible that they had already committed to re-transfering other series during that period of time, which would have stalled these series even longer.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I also agree with Brad. I don't put the Hawaii Five-O situation in the same category as the Fugitive situation. Otherwise, they would have offered a new edition of that season individually. Or, like with the Fugitive, replacement discs could have been offered for those who purchased the original season set. But this was all about getting people with the individual sets to re-purchase the entire series just to get the corrected episodes.

As one who already owned the Season 10 set (and all the other season sets), I did not purchase that complete series box. Now, if they had also included the missing "Bored, She Hung Herself" episode, I would have given in and bought the complete set.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
After all this time, could it be possible to purchase the stand alone season 10 of Hawaii Five-0 to get the pristine remastered version? Why would CBS continue to have two different versions on the market? It makes no sense. Then again, I would have thought that the Heyes versions of The Fugitive were gone for good but they resurfaced on DVD just last year.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I wouldn't think so. The remastered season 10 was in the complete series set.
I'm waiting for CBS to release a more inexpensive version of the Hawaii Five-O box without the bonus disc like they have with other shows recently. Then I will have my remastered Season 10.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Seems like I got that boxed set for less than $10 a season. I'm happy with that, especially since i didn't own any of the single season sets.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Anyway, do you think that after all this time that it might be possible to repurchase the stand alone season 10 and get the remastered version? I'd like to have it, but I'm not going to purchase the complete series set since I bought each season as they came out.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Brian Himes said:
Anyway, do you think that after all this time that it might be possible to repurchase the stand alone season 10 and get the remastered version? I'd like to have it, but I'm not going to purchase the complete series set since I bought each season as they came out.
One thing that irks me about Amazon is the way they bundle in one clump all their reviews for new releases of the same product. It makes it virtually impossible to find out if the quality is better or worse. Sometimes the sets are just repackaged and so being lumped with the old reviews is not a big deal, but sometimes the product is significantly different. Really dumb on Amazon's part, IMHO. And it's frustrated me for years.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Carabimero said:
One thing that irks me about Amazon is the way they bundle in one clump all their reviews for new releases of the same product. It makes it virtually impossible to find out if the quality is better or worse. Sometimes the sets are just repackaged and so being lumped with the old reviews is not a big deal, but sometimes the product is significantly different. Really dumb on Amazon's part, IMHO. And it's frustrated me for years.
Hi Alan!

For me, their lumping together of various releases of the same title, is the single most frustrating aspect of Amazon! :P

Besides how this wrongly affects the rating, there are few things quite so maddening as sifting through several hundred Amazon Reviews, just to find a helpful one that actually applies to the specific item that I'm looking for, only to come up empty! :P

Separating the releases would save a lot of needless time wasting, in that regard!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Carabimero said:
I complain to them frequently about this very thing. I truly feel like I'm talking to the wall but every 6-8 weeks I fire off a(nother) complaint/suggestion about how they need to separate the reviews so they're product specific.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I noticed that Ken Burns's CIVIL WAR BD releases got separated treatment. The first BD release in Oct was seriously flawed, and the corrected Dec release has different reviews.

I'm glad, but that begs the question: why is the first flawed release (flawed enough to correct and relist) still available? And the two releases vary in price. Very odd indeed.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Carabimero said:
I'm with y'all on this one.

I immediately press the 'Most Recent' button on the reviews filter, which sometimes results in a reviewer differentiating between old & new product reviews due to this Amazon flaw.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Same here.

It makes no sense to lump different releases together. You have to be very careful sorting through the reviews to match up the correct review with the correct product. The longer they continue this practice, the more of a jumbled mess it becomes.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
It depends on how badly I want the show, and whether an unedited release would ever see the light of day.

When Shout! released the first season of "Father Knows Best," I was crushed when half the episodes were the badly-edited syndicated versions (especially when my single favorite episode of the whole series was one of those). I knew Sony/Columbia/Screen Gems had to have the elements available to release all the episodes uncut -- but it was this release, or nothing.

The remaining seasons were released unedited, and to this day I wish Shout! would go back and re-do the first season with uncut shows. I know that'll never happen, but I didn't boycott their DVD release since I knew it'd be the only release we'd ever get.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
PianoPlayer said:
It depends on how badly I want the show, and whether an unedited release would ever see the light of day.

When Shout! released the first season of "Father Knows Best," I was crushed when half the episodes were the badly-edited syndicated versions (especially when my single favorite episode of the whole series was one of those). I knew Sony/Columbia/Screen Gems had to have the elements available to release all the episodes uncut -- but it was this release, or nothing.

The remaining seasons were released unedited, and to this day I wish Shout! would go back and re-do the first season with uncut shows. I know that'll never happen, but I didn't boycott their DVD release since I knew it'd be the only release we'd ever get.
I agree - that's what I was saying in my earlier post . If you really love a show and edited is the only way to get it , it doesn't leave you much choice if you really want to see that show . Naturally I feel all shows SHOULD be released unedited , but sometimes companies like Shout can only give you what's been provided to them.

On the subject of father Knows Best , I bought all six seasons , but I'd go for a complete series reissue box set if it included all first season episodes unedited , and the two reunion movies .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Just wondering - is CBS releasing ANY old television shows on DVD these days? It seems so long ago that they were still releasing season sets on shows like Bonanza , Gunsmoke , and the Beverley Hillbillies .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks