What's new

Ed Wood DVD review (1 Viewer)

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
I know that this DVD has been delayed, but I got my hands on a copy and decided to give a review for it. (Just in case it is released.)

Picture: The movie is presented in 1.85:1 and is 16x9 enhanced. The overall picture is very good. The was a small amount of grain, but nothing to bad. 3.5/4

Sound: I'm not that good with sound so I can't really say if it's that good.

Extras: There is a very healthy assortment of extras.

Deleted scenes: There are 5 deleted scenes presented in 16x9 widesceen. Four of them are good, one is not. 4/5

Making Bela: This is an interview with Martin Landau and Rick Baker. Some good info is given, but I wanted more. 2.5/4

Pie Plates over Hollywood: This is an ok featurette about the production design. Too short and a tad bit boring. 2/4

Theremin feaurette: This is about how they used the Theremin to create the score. Very informative. 4.5/5

Let's Shoot this F#*%@r!: This is a behind-the-scenes featurette that includes no interviews. It avery boring look at the shooting of a few scenes. 1/4

Commentary: This commentary includes: Tim Burton, the writers, Martin Landau, the DP, and the costume designer. The commentary is very informative about all aspects about the making of the movie. Not the typical Burton commentary. 4.5/5

Music Video: This is the weirdest video I have ever scene. It's just a goth girl dancing in a graveyard while the score plays. 0/4

There is also a trailer.

Overall: This is a very good movie that deserves a much better DVD. While the picture and the commentary are good the rest is lacking.

Overall score: 4/5

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Thanks.

As long as the presentatation is a quality one, I am a happy man.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
I've got the Region 4 version.

Other than the deleted scenes, it's identical.

I agree with this review, but complaining about the extras is being a little harsh.

Good picture, excellent sound, deleted scenes, commentary (a pretty damn good one), trailer and some making of featurettes (yes, that "music video" is freakin strange) for a movie that grossed only $5,869,802 in the US...

What more could you expect?

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I found Duel at K-Mart not too long ago, maybe my luck will hold out on this one...

or I could have just jinxed myself :D.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I absolutely diagree with you about the featurette "Let's Shoot This F#*%@r!" This is great! It's probably a personal preference, but I absolutely hate that typical DVD featurette where an interview with someone who gushes about how wonderful everything is is spliced in with ten minutes of shots from the movie and a couple minutes of EPK footage from the set (ie: the recent Intolerable Cruelty featurettes). True, this feels somewhat disjointed and has no real documentary-esque "flow" to it, but it certainly goes along with the tone of the movie. I found this to be really interesting, and I was glad there were no stupid, fluffy interviews. Hopefully this survives to the eventually released disc (though I can't say the same about that awfully strange music video...blah...maybe they recalled the disc to take this off...).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks