What's new

East Coast Michael TLV Tour, What Happened??? (1 Viewer)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
I am in the process of decompressing having gotten home last evening at 1:30 AM ... flight delays ...
I will write something up hopefully by week's end. I think I freaked a few out when I showed them my furry pig. :)
Regards
------------------
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gregg,
Yes, the much anticipated two week tour is now over. Whew!
I'm sure Michael will second that sentiment since he covered quite of bit of miles to deliver video nirvana or pretty darn close to it to a lot of folks between Mass and Virginia.
I could have posted here right after my calib two weeks ago but I wanted to wait until after the tour to ensure that the tour goes smoothly for everyone. It also doesn't help that I'm inundated with work.
At any rate, post calibration results confirmed and reaffirmed my opinion that Michael is one of the best if not THE BEST calibration expert in the field. My set has never looked better. You can't quantify it. You just have to see it to believe it!
Armed with a laptop, Philips analyzer, CA1, and an HD generator, he performed his magic on the set. Tweaks performed include grayscale, convergence, color/tint correction, mechanical focus, electrical focus, designer menu adjustments for user menu defaults, plus lenstriping and H-TLV maneuver. The last two of course are services unique to Michael TLV. Only he offers these on his menu of services that go beyond your basic calibration.
After the 4 hour session lasting into 2am, he popped in a few DVDs to showcase the improvement on the set. Needless to say, a big smile on my face came on immediately. Colors are true, blacks are black, details are more evident, misconvergence are absent. Same goes for HD material. PBS loops and CSI were great then. They are even more mesmerizing now. Excellent work Michael!
On a side note, Michael is very nice guy. Mild mannered, well spoken, and intelligent. Had a great time talking to him about HD and some insights on the trade, plus a whole host of other non-HD topics. After all, we do have lives outside of HD right? It was a pleasure having him over for the weekend and at the tail end of the tour.
I highly recommend Michael to anyone thinking about getting their sets calibrated even to those who have had their sets calibrated already.
Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV
Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
I got my TW40X81 calibrated by Michael. I haven't been able to watch as many movies yet as I would like, but from what I have watched the results are fantastic. Michael said he doesn't like to use Toy Story as a reference disc because it's hard to use it to judge how poor your setup is (it's hard for it not to look great), but I popped it in after he left. Sure it always looked great, but now the detail is incredible. The skin of Mr. Potato Head and the T-Rex now have scales that jump out at you. I'm sure they were there before, but now they are impossible to miss.
The other thing that really jumps out at me is flesh tones. It's not only that you can see every wrinkle and mole on an actor's face, it's that their color just looks so right--no artificial sunburns. One movie I've watched since the calibration is Jaws, and I was amazed at one close up near the end where you could see every hair in Richard Dreyfuss's beard. It's really detail like that that is the most striking now.
Black level is the other thing that's much improved. There's detail in the shadows if that makes any sense.
So basically it looks great, and Michael's the man. I wish I didn't have to be at work so I could watch movies all day now. At least I have some guests visiting this weekend, so I can show off the set. One of them also has a TW40X81, so I get to make him jealous with how mine now looks--evil maybe but fun.
------------------
Stephen

Scott Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
I believe I was the last set Michael did on his tour. Not only does my TV look spectacular he is a very nice person.
I am so glad I got onto the tour.
Scott

I had Michael calibrate my TW40X81. Since I had done most of the stuff myself (Electrical/Mechanical Focus, Convergence, Avia calibration, H-TLV), Michael only performed the gray scale calibration for DVD and HD and also performed the Lens Stripping technique.
My readings were in the high 11000 (I certainly can't eyeball grayscale
redface.gif
) and I can certainly see a difference with them now at ~6500. My friends say they don't see any difference, but what do they know :) I think the effects of grayscale is a little more subtle than convergence and thinning the lines by adjusting the trimpots.
Anyway, I would like to thank Michael for his time and effort and would recommend him to anyone.
I think I freaked a few out when I showed them my furry pig
Yea, I was wondering what the hell that thing was
wink.gif

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Here are some results from my session:
Grayscale:
Data used to plot the graph is at my site.
grayscale_graph.gif

Lenstriping:
Notice how post-calib numbers now hover closer to 6500K.
lenstriping_errols.gif

Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV
Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks