What's new

EA raking in the cash... (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
According to an article on GamingAge EA have had a record quarter, with news like that i think they'll be more than happy to continue focussing on the PS2.

"EA announced today that consolidated net revenues for the quarter ending Dec. 31st, 2002 were $1.23 billion, up 48 percent fom $833 million last fiscal year. Net revenues were driven by hot properties Harry Potter, James Bond: Nightfire, Lord of the Rings, Need for Speed 2: Hot Pursuit, and Medal of Honor Frontline. Consolidated net incom for the quarter was $250 million, and 89 percent increase over last year.
"This was a historic holiday season for the Company," said Larry Probst, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Electronic Arts. "EA became the first third-party publisher to achieve a billion dollar quarter. Eleven titles sold more than one million units. Our global development and publishing organizations have never been stronger."

In the U.S., EA had five of the top ten titles on the industry leading PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and five of the top ten titles on the PC."

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
$1 billion quarter... That's insanse, it really is. No third party is even close to that, I believe.

And Romier, :D

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Well I hope they realize that they could have added at least another hundred bucks to that total by including Live support for Madden and doing a better job on the Xbox version of Need for Speed 2. Maybe now they will learn the error of their ways, and next quarter they can earn 1.23 billion plus my one hundred dollars.

See, I told you all my personal boycott would work!

:)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I started my EA boycott midway through the quarter. I believe that if you check intra-quarterly EA reports, you'll see a strong downward trend starting in November 2002.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
:laugh:

On a serious tip, please let's all swear not to tell anyone at Sega about EA's boffo quarter. If they found out how profitable it is to focus primarily on the PS2... :crazy:

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

Mwahahahahaha.

So utterly sad and, yet, so utterly true.

A troupe of monkeys could run Sega better than their management team.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
As long as that incompetence leads to games like Panzer Dragoon and Jet Set Radio Future, I say power to the monkeys--er, Sega management! :D

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
As long as that incompetence leads to games like Panzer Dragoon and Jet Set Radio Future, I say power to the monkeys--er, Sega management!
Oh god Dave, no ones doubting thier talent here. You know me man, I love me my Sega more than anyone in the world. NO ONE can make a game like they can when they put thier hearts, minds and talents into it. The only devs that can "knuckle up" with Sega is Nintendo IMO and I still say no one can bring it like the house that made Sonic.;)

Eric, however is about on the nose with his comment. TOTAL mismanagement of thier franchises, playing the exclusive game when they should be concentrating on more multi-platform releases, banking your house on (admittedly excellent) sports titles that are competing with a powerhouse and proven industry leader (ie Madden etc...) and being crushed in the process.

Now we know who the main characters in Super Monkey Ball are based on:D.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Harry Potter, James Bond: Nightfire, Lord of the Rings, Need for Speed 2: Hot Pursuit, and Medal of Honor Frontline.
Yeah EA had a lot of HOT titles out this quarter. I know personally I bought MoH:F and TTT.

Now about SEGA,
How much cash do you have Eric, Romier, and BrianB? I bet we could get enough to go over there and buy enough bananas(or 13 year old girls) to lure the monkeys away and then take over.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I'll buy a banana and contribute if I can take over their RPG division ;).

Seriously, EA is pretty decent about getting their releases out on other platforms, at least the cream of the crop. Maybe I'm wrong (and I'm sure somebody will correct me :p)) but they seem good for bringing over titles like The Two Towers and Harry Potter.

I only own SSX Tricky, but I have to say I was tempted by the new Harry Potter, which was quite a lot of goofy fun.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
TOTAL mismanagement of thier franchises, playing the exclusive game when they should be concentrating on more multi-platform releases
You really don't want Sega focusing on the PS2 and multiplatform releases do you? Imagine if Panzer Dragoon and JSRF had been developed on the PS2 from the ground up and then ported to the Xbox.

I personally hope Sega stays as far away from the PS2 as possible, as it's obvious that their programmers just can't push the hardware. Virtua Fighter, Shinobi, the laundry list of DC ports, all terrible from a purely technical standpoint. Rez had some great graphics, but it's not anything special from a technical standpoint either.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Imagine if Panzer Dragoon and JSRF had been developed on the PS2 from the ground up and then ported to the Xbox.
Oh, the horror! :rolleyes:

I'm getting real tired of this EA and PS2 bashing. Just get over it, get a PS2, or stop complaining.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
, the laundry list of DC ports ... all terrible from a purely technical standpoint.
So? VF4 & Rez were f'ing awesome to play. And it's been said before: most of those DC ports you frequently complain about were handled by Acclaim or other developers.

And what's a Sega bashing thread got to do with a bashing EA thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks