What's new

Blockbuster Issues Earnings Warning: Shares Fall 32 Percent (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
One reason why I tend to buy rather than rent, especially
from the likes of Blockbuster, is that to get through all
the etras on a DVD takes a bit of time, and 3 days just
doesn't seem long enough...like one is pressured into
not only watching the film in that time, but if there
is a commentary track and behind-the-scenes stuff, it
takes the fun out of it if you "have" to do it now.
For example: Who in their "right mind" would rent
the extended edition of LOTR: The Fellowship of The Ring?
I took me an entire day just to get though the
documentaries, and the film. I still have only listened
to part of the commentary by the director, and part by
the cast.
No way is that a rental title.
Mark

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Yes! Yes!!! My wish this year has come true. :D :emoji_thumbsup:
Man, I'd love to see Walmart suffer the same (or worse) fate. If it happens this year it would be great but anytime soon would be fine by me. It wouldn't be that great a loss (unless of course, someone has invested in BB or Wally World stock). Perhaps this will get future similar corporations to create a better business model.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Perhaps this will get future similar corporations to create a better business model.
Pray tell, what would be a "better business model" than the one that has created the largest retailer in the world? One whose earnings are the envy of every other retailer. I don't like Wal-Mart's pressure on the studios to release MAR DVDs. And I like what they do to small town business districts much less. But there's no doubt that their business model works just fine.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
compressed holiday season
Actually, it is compressed. "Holiday Season," as it pertains to retailers, refers to the period from Thanksgiving (or more specifically, Black Friday), through the Christmas holiday. This year, it is a week shorter, due to the late Thanksgiving holiday. Virtually all retailers are whining about this.

Sell-through (the rash of the 14.xx new release at Wal-Mart and Best Buy) is killing them, particularly since it costs me $4.50 to rent. Perhaps they could now concentrate on adapting their business model, rather than coercing studios into protecting them.

Todd

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Actually, it is compressed. "Holiday Season," as it pertains to retailers, refers to the period from Thanksgiving (or more specifically, Black Friday), through the Christmas holiday. This year, it is a week shorter, due to the late Thanksgiving holiday. Virtually all retailers are whining about this.
Ah, so ka. Interesting. Still doesn't make sense to me; people are going to start christmas shopping in time for christmas, regardless of when thanksgiving happens to be, yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks