What's new

EA raking in the cash... (1 Viewer)

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Would have sold a bit better but nah, gamers are just too kewl to play some game about a chick named Buffy
It's true. If I tried to tell my 20-something friends that I bought a "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" video game, there would be hell to pay. I've heard the Indiana Jones game is very similar in style; I hope this is the case. I haven't had the chance to play Buffy yet due to my Christmas backlog, but look forward to picking it up for next to nothing in a few months.

I think the XBox is the last platform that I would publish Buffy on. The PS2 and GC crowd is much more likely to play a game based on a teen-marketed show. Anyone know why XBox was chosen?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Yes, they're also too cool to play some game about :

1) A fat italian plumber named Mario
2) A goofy limbless creature named Rayman
3) A bunch of monkeys in balls
4) A bunch of scantily-clad man-toys who are supposedly professional volleyball players despite their fickle attitudes and whorish mannerisms

Yes, we're too cool.
I never said gamers were consistent in deciding what they liked and disliked because they're not :)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Hey guys since there's a lot of Buffy love here and...I have a copy of Indiana Jones and The Emperor's Tomb - the demo, would you like me to start a thread with some impressions on that? (it's in the current OXM that came this week)

-Dan :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I have a copy of Indiana Jones and The Emperor's Tomb - the demo, would you like me to start a thread with some impressions on that? (it's in the current OXM that came this week)
No Dan! No one here wants to listen to your nonsensical drivel. Go away!

(That was my way of saying I'd love to hear what you have to say about it:))

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Damn, my OXM subscription just ran out, too. Now where's that re-up notice???

I'd be interested in your impressions, Dan.

Dan B

Screenwriter
You mean you like my nonsensical drivel Romier? OK...:D (hey check your PMs "urgent" Silent Hill stuff!) I'll try to get some impressions up later Dave.

PS Brian B I didn't mean to speak for you with that comment about what system(s) you do or don't buy, I was just trying to get in another cheap shot about you being too cheap to buy Panzer Orta. ;)

PPS I also apologize for any EA bashing I may do in this thread or others, I have absolutely nothing against EA at all...I've bought many of their games. I am, however, upset that some of their competitors don't do nearly as well as they do so I take it out on EA because I...am...sad...:frowning:
and that makes me no better than those of you who pick on Microsoft or anyone else. I suck. I am a loser. :D

DwightK

Second Unit
Don't worry Dan I will EA bash:emoji_thumbsup: They killed my Origin after all.

I am surprised no one here is aghast at the EA decision to decimate Westwood Studios and the Earth and Beyond team. They make money and then lay off good people. Nice company.

I have to refrain from further EA discussion. They sicken me.:angry:

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
If you ask me, and you didn't, I think Origin killed Origin as much as anybody. In their later years they started pushing product that was increasingly shoddy and they also appeared to become far, far more hostile towards their customers.

Ultima 9 anybody? Yeah, the game is broken all to hell, but we just published a patch so therefore it's fixed, now shut up! In fact, we're gonna close down the message boards because the game is "done", certainly not because we're being bombarded by complaints about the rotten product we just foisted on people. :rolleyes

Damn shame too, as Origin used to be one of my favorite companies, but can you really blame EA for lowering the boom? I mean, Origin wasn't making friends of its userbase by any stretch of the imagination.

DwightK

Second Unit
Kelley, Origin still exists but it is not anything like what it was 2 years ago let alone like the innovative development house it was prior to EA buying OSI. I don't even know what they are doing currently other than maintaining UO.

Mark, I agree that OSI had some problems starting towards the fall of 1998 and yes they are at fault, possibly as much as EA, in their "restructuring." It was EA's beancounters that removed Garriot and it was the beancounters who then ran OSI that put out an unfinished Ascension and the subsequent patch fiasco. Plus the death of UO2 Wing Commander Online, reducing the staff for UO to a small enough level to prevent neat activities, and who knows what else. Is OSI developing anything nowadays?

The biggest mistake OSI (Garriot) made in my estimation was to sell the company to EA back in the earlier 90's in the first place.

Morgan, both Westwood and EA Pacific were moved with reductions to staff.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
All I know is that Wing Commander Prophecy has not had a sequel, and left us on a horrific cliffhanger

Wing Commander Online, which has been SCREAMING to be made for about a decade still doesn't exist

Sigh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks