What's new

E.T. Glitch Thread (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
UGS with the wrong disc in it.
UGS doesn't have DTS on '82 cut.
What exactly is the difference between the 2-disc & UGS?
Which one has the full Doc.?
There's an extra John Williams/music bit? On which one?
There's stuff on the 2-disc that isn't on the UGS?
Alright boys and girls, it's time to leave all that fun behind us and talk about actual glitches on the discs.
Watched the '82 from the R1 2-disc last night with no problems. Had the typical slight pause at the layer change. Then I put in the '02 and searched out the layer change and found problems. It locked up/froze for a few seconds then eventually started back up at the beginning of the next chapter after skipping several seconds of the film. Went back and tried it several times with the same results.
Although my DVDP is an older Sony (DVP S360) this is the first disc I've ever encountered a problem with.
So, anyone else?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I went ahead and bought this on street date since it's not a Disney title, so I'm not too afraid of it having problems with my player ;)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Glitch with 2-disc set: The packaging sucks! A "collector's edition", for what that is worth, deserves packaging that will actually last......

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The Digital Bits already reported a day or two ago that the 82 version does not have a DTS track. So it's not a "glitch." It's a "bitch!"

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Brett,

The S360 is notorious for playing fine then starting to glitch and then suddenly stop altogether with the dreaded 13:00 error. That's what mine did a few months ago. You may just have started on the road to a new player rather than having a problem disc.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Brett,

I have a S560. I'm not sure how similar it is to the S360, but mine did exactly what Mark described. It started glitching on a few discs, and now it won't play any past the layer change.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
There's no SPINE....What the heck?
Weird, there's no spine information so the title can't be seen when you display it in a DVD rack...
How long until we get some custom DVD art :)?
-Mike

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
All I know is what the Digital Bits said:

"It seems that the 3-disc version of E.T. DOESN'T include a DTS track on the 1982 version of the film... which IS available on the 2-disc set (both sets have DTS on the 2002 version of the film). So diehard collectors who would normally buy the set with more discs WILL NOT get the DTS track they usually also want. Doh!"

I guess I read it wrong and that only the more expensive 3-disc version does nothave a DTS track on the 1982 version.

Fortunately, I hate ET and will not be buying it (however I would buy The Ghost and Mr. Chicken in a heartbeat!)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I bought ET today, but if they'd released Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on the same day and I could only afford one, I'dve bought that instead! :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here's something closer to a "glitch" than a "bitch", but if so, it's at the authoring level:
In the "Special Announcements" section on both 2- and 3-disc versions, the 2nd announcement - "Jimmy's Birthday" - does not have hide nor hair (so to speak) of E.T. I got the impression these would all be E.T.-related spots. Except for the prominent mention of the word "heart", which I would expect in any spot related to adopting foster kids, there's nothing in it related to E.T.
Did the disc authors nab the wrong spot for that section?!?! :eek:

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
did anyone else see the panning shots right before the cornfield scene sort of skip a few frames? it's almost like they were tip toe-ing the panning, and i seriously don't think it was intentional. i have a panasonic rv32, i just bought it less than a year ago.

Sam,
I also noticed the "skipping" (at least in the 2002 cut -- haven't watched the '82 cut yet). I seem to remember it happening again in another scene as well... I think it was when the phone rang and Elliot got scared. There was a pan in on the phone that jumped a couple times.

I thought it was a bit strange as well, but I can't say for sure whether it was intentional or a glitch.

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
i noticed it in the 1982 version. i haven't watched all of it yet, so i can't report if it has happened anywhere else. is it supposed to be like that?

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Well I just bought the 2 disc today, havent watched it yet... but yes, the packaging does suck. They could have at least included a slipcase.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Although my DVDP is an older Sony (DVP S360) this is the first disc I've ever encountered a problem with.
You may want to calibrate your Sony, most have a very simple automatic calibration process. I have the process saved as a text file if you want to try, or you may be able to find a post on it by searching for "sony calibration" here.

Chris

DeeF

Screenwriter
Must chime in about the packaging. When I removed the security labels, ink from the front of the package came off with the labels, so I've got big "holes" on the front of the box. Not a pretty sight.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I didn't have any problems with the "security" labels pulling ink off, but the UPC code was actually a sticker, half on a "security" label and half on the case itself. So to get the label off I had to tear through half the UPC code. Since its torn in half I had to remove the rest of it, so now there is no UPC code. If studios are going to skimp on the packaging and go with their eco friendly cardboard packaging at least knock a few bucks off the price. There should be a standard case for all DVD's like there are with CD's. I hardly ever see CD's come in cardboard containers anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks