What's new

Dynaudio *melt* - what are your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
So I was at A&B Sound today, for our 'corporate night' for the company I work for. I was mainly looking for some CD's and DVD's that were supposed to be discounted - ? - and found myself listening to some speakers, as it was very dead in the store when I was there.
Anyways, some guy came up and showed me some Energy, PSB, mostly low end stuff, and was shocked at how bright they were with both the Denon and Marantz they were set up with.
I guess I reeked 'audiophile wanna be' as the guy asked me if he wanted to hear a pair of speakers really sing. Hell yeah, I said, and he took me upstairs to their audiophile room, where some Joseph Audio were playing. He told me the price, but said that wans't what he was going to show me.
He turned me towards this tiny little pair of Dynaudios, which turned out to be the 42's. They were amazing. I couldn't believe how smooth the highs were and was even more suprised at the amount of tight bass that was coming out of these little things.
Now, I didn't have any CD's with me at the time, but the guy had a collection with some suprisingly good dynamics. Bryan McKnight, a Miles Davis SACD, Crash Test Dummies, King Crimson, Los Lobos - a real eclectic set, ans someone I've never heard of but loved the CD. Her name was Michelle N'Dege Ocello - I know I'm butchering that name, but the CD absolutely sent shivers through me on these speaks. Can anyone help with the name of the CD? "Peace and Passion" or something? they didn't have it in stock.
Anyways, these speakers absolutely made me MELT.... then he showed me a pair of Dynaudio towers, the 72's. These were of course everything the 42's were but fuller sounding, not bloated in the bass. He also told me they have a pair in between, basically the top half of the 72's and the # I believe was the 52's. It wasn't in stock. They had sold out completely on the weekend. He finally played the 62's for me which was the baby floorstander of the line which was actually more harsh in the highs, especially on the Los Lobos tracks we heard, and I didn't think it offered much more on the low end than the tiny 42's.
As for the price? the 42's and out of stock 52's were at the very top of my price range, actually, quite a bit past it! :) but not too bad at all. The 52's were 1450 CDN list, I believe, and the 42's were 1100 CDN list, I think. He said because I was a corporate customer he would be able to do better than this, but there just wasn't much profit in them so he couldn't move that much.
Now the room and related equipment... it was obviously a high end room, with more high end rooms jutting out from each corner of it. Thick carpeting, room treatments in the corners, area rugs, thick couches, and chairs, powered with rega amps, the 62's were powered by Myriad, I believe. Rega CD players, with the 62's being fed by a Sony ES SACD. Kimber 4tc all around. I didn't catch the interconnects. No subs anywhere in the rooms, just two channel.
Now, I wonder if it was the speakers that actually had this effect on me, or if it was the related equipment and surroundings that played the bigger part. But Dynaudio were far better than any speaker I've heard so far, including PSB image, silver, Energy exl, Paradigm Monitor and Studio line, and some B&W. I'd definitely recommend them. Anyone else hear them, have any comments?

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm...I'm tempted to check these out. Which A&B was it? I'm assuming it was the 4-story one on 8th Ave.

BTW, the prices you mentioned, is that what they cost per pair?

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
I too have heard these speakers (only the 52's), also at a relatively high end shop with real high end equipment (Meridian transport and Mark Levinson pre and amp combo). They weren't in the best place in the room I was, kind of off to the side near an entryway, but it didn't seem to hurt these speakers any. They were very smooth and detailed (heh, I sound like an audiophile) and imaged like crazy. Definately the best speakers I heard when I was audtioning. If not for a great deal on some Virtuel's, I would have bought them. Buying the Virtuels may not have been the best decision, as I keep dreaming about those Dyn's (and a few others). I'm just afraid that I'll buy them and bring them home and they'll disappointe me on my much lower end equipment. The only way I'll ever know is to try, I guess.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
When I was auditioning HT equipment a year ago, the dealer had to pick up some equipment from their stereo listening room. I followed, and saw that another customer was auditioning a set-up. Some African music was being played- lots of singing and drums- and the sound was absolutely stunning. It was as though the singers were really in the room, the soundstage and midrange was that good. When I looked at the speakers I was stunned. They were tiny bookshelves, but the bass they were putting out nearly put the almost 1m tall Elac metal-cone driver floorstanders I was auditioning to shame. I later learned the speakers were the Dyn Countour 1.3MkII's (the line above the Audience series), hooked up to a Musical Fidelity CD/amp/preamp combo. Dynaudio make some excellent drivers, and their speakers, while pricey, are very well reviewed. The Contour's I think were about $3000 aussie (US$1500), the Audience series uses similar drivers but with vinyl trim and lesser quality cabinets. To me, that was the best sound I have ever heard, absolutely incredible.
I forgot to add, the Dyn's in general are notoriously hard to drive (low sensitivity and impedance) so make sure your amp is up to the task if you do buy them. Cheers :)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
yep. 8th avenue, gorgeous building. terrible listening surroundings downstairs but their upstairs rooms were amazing. The guy that demo'ed for me was Martin. I spent about 2 hours with him today. He doesn't give the best demos but he knows his music. Definitely worth a trip in from Okotoks.
Prices were per pair. They were on some Lovan stands (I recognized the logo). He said he could go about half on the stands for me, mabe just a shade more. Kimber 4TC he said goes for $12 per foot.
Still looking for the audiophile loudspeaker priced between the PSB bookshelves and these Dyn's/Paradigms/B&W's, etc, around the $6-900 range.... haven't found them yet! He said he could do 3 months no no for me on their card, so that helps, a bit.
I found the CD by the way....
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...560250-2871728

Carl R

Grip
Hi there!
I own a pair of Dynaudio 42's which are driven by a Rotel RSX-965RDS surround receiver. I got these in February. I was shopping around for some floorstanders to add some more bass than my old Dali 102's could deliver. So I went to audition some speakers but the ones in the price range I could afford really sounded a bit too boomy for my taste. Then the sales guy brought these out, to my surprise since I wasn't asking for tiny bookshelves.
However, just like you, I really melted when I listened to them. I had to return 4 days later and listen some more with some my own CD's. After a couple of hours I walked out with a pair of 42's in my arms :D I also bought the matching Dynaudio speaker stands for them and got a rebate on the entire package. I really couldn't be happier with these speakers. They continue to amaze me as I've been upgrading the rest of my system during the year with the receiver and better cables. Audioquest Bedrock speaker cables will be the next upgrade. I'd say they deliver a hifi sound for a mid-fi price.
I've been thinking about getting a pair of 72's to add that bottom end (instead of getting a subwoofer). Somehow it would almost feel like a waste to use the 42's as rear speakers only, since they sound so good.
Cheers,
Carl

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Paul,

Your MELT isn't surprising. I've been hooked on Dynaudio for fifteen years. My theater has Dynaudio Myrages (large 5-driver towers) and Twynns (3-driver MTM mini-towers). The only other speaker brand I would consider is EgglestonWorks --Andra, Savoy, or (gasp) Ivy. These use mainly Dynaudio drivers, including the T330D Esotar tweeter. It's too bad that Dynaudio got out of the raw driver business back in 1997; building your own was a cost-effective way to get Dynaudio quality.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Yes, Dynaudio hi-jacked my ears and hasn't let go for the past 3 years.
I haven't found speakers that could wring the raw emotion out of female vocals or get my foot tapping to jazz better than Dynaudio, and I demoed speakers for over a year before buying.
I listened to both Audience (40, 50, 60, 70, 80) and Contour (1.1, 1.3, 1.8, 3.0, 3.3), and liked both.
I ended up with a Contours all around including Contour 2.8 towers for mains (out of production now) with that incredible Esotar tweeter.
Speakers are one part of my system I never even think about upgrading anymore, I'm still that happy.
Dynaudios website:
Link Removed
BruceD

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I'll have to give these speakers a listen. I had the Paradigm Studio 40's and B&W 602's on my list, but I think the 42's might be in my pricerange, too.

Thanks for the discussion about these. I am excited to hear them.

Aaron

EDIT:

What the difference between the 42's and 52's? They seem very similar. Also, will Dynaudio dealer's deal on the price, or do they try to sell at MSRP like Paradigm?

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
May want to also check out the bookshelf Diva Swan M1's http://www.av123.com/divaproducts.html (Contact Steve, they may still have a sale on the M1). I have never heard the Dynaudio, they sound like very good speakers. I upgraded my old M&K LCR55's to the Swan M1's, there was a huge difference most notably the ribbon tweeter. I was a bit shocked as the tweeter in the M&K was supposedly the same they use in their flagship models. I was a bit hesitant as it is internet only, however the customer service was great and after the demo I knew they'd be keepers:emoji_thumbsup:. I also have that satisfied feeling of a solid purchasing decision (Just like with my SVS cs ultra :D)

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
Count me as another Dynaudio devotee.

I have the Audience 50's (the forerunner to the 52) powered by an Exposure amp in my 2 channel system. Simply gorgeous sound. My father-in-law has the Contour 1.3mkII SE's (don't listen to them if you don't have the money- you'll spend days figuring what you can pawn to own them.)

Unfortunately my theater is in the family room and I'm very limited space wise. Looking for something that is somewhat in the dynaudio vein that's cheaper, smaller and can be placed up against the wall. Current thinking is ENERGY, GALLO, or MORDAUNT-SHORT. any ideas?

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Paul,
If the 42 made you melt you *don't* even want to hear 1.3SE or the Craffts. The Crafft is simply the best *bookshelf* speaker I have heard...period. Of course, at $4250 a pair it had better be damned good.
Sean,
Come on back over to JSAudio and I'll set the 52's up for you again. BTW, that isn't a bad spot at all to audition bookshelf speakers in Room 3. I'll take the Levinson stuff out of the mix and play them on the really good equipment for you. ;)

MikeN

Agent
I too will agree! :D
I am looking at the Audience 122's for my next system upgrade.
I have used Dyn's in DIY projects since about 1986 and have loved them! I use the Estotec D260 tweet (AWESOME) in my car system as well (the only way to get good highs! :b)

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm... these speakers seem to have excellent opinions backing them! I'll have to check them out.

How do the Dynaudio Contours compare to the Monitor Audio Gold Reference range?

Cheers,

Mal

J

John Morris

There is a local dealer selling new demo Contour 3.3s for $4000. You could probably get them for closer to $3000 if you tried hard. I've listened to these exact speakers and they are wonderful. I think you can check out his Audiogon ad here: Contour 3.3s

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, thanks for mentioning Me'Shell NdegeOcello. I downloaded some of her music since you mentioned her and it is amazing. I'd like to hear her on some Dynaudio's. The nearest Dynaudio dealer is 2 hrs from here. But, I will get by there sometime 'cause I get to that city occasionally.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Can you drive these things with an Onkyo 575X (for the time being - will upgrade this spring/summer)

BruceD

Screenwriter
Paul,

What does the 575X have for amplifier specs?

Most Dyns are 4 Ohm speakers and usually like a robust amp with good current capability.

I'd say a minimum ouput of 75-100 watts/channel would work, more would be better.

I use a Parasound 1205A (200wpc @4 Ohms) with high current capability (45 amps peak per channel) and am very satisfied even at reference levels.

BruceD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks