What's new

Dynamic Range Control (1 Viewer)

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys I was wondering how many people use DRC. I've been experimenting with it lately and would like to get some other opinions. I feel that it works pretty well when you have the volume at a low level or if you just want to keep the effects and dialogue at the same level.
I know that DRC is not suppose to alter the track but I can't help but to think I'm missing out on something. Anyway enough talk any ideas on the subject would be helpful.
Later Haywood
cool.gif

------------------
Link Removed

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I know that DRC is not suppose to alter the track
Not true. Dynamic Range Compression does alter the soundtrack, by making loud sounds softer, and low sounds louder. Thus, it limits the peak transients.
I use it, because I have a 3 month old baby. That way, I can still (barely) hear the dialogue, and not have to worry about waking her up during any explosions. Other than that, I find that having it on ruins part of the experience.
Don't confuse DRC with Dialog Normalization. They are different.
Todd

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Ever since our daughter was a baby, we watched movies at reference.
Train them early to be able to sleep through noise.
It's just not possible in my home. I have high ceilings and ceramic floor tile throughout, and due to the VERY open layout of my floor plan, the sound travels very well through the entire house, with the exception of the master suite. Other than this flaw, I love the floorplan.
While she has no trouble sleeping through the "normal routine" in our home, watching movies at reference would be like talking in a loud voice standing right next to her crib.
C'est la vie. I'm more interested in her gettting a good night's sleep (sleeping through the night- 9+ hours, since 7 weeks old- WOOHOO!), than getting through Armegeddon at -10ref at 11pm.
Todd
P.S. Wayne- are you speaking of dialog vs. dialogue? If so, thank you for policing my spelling. :)

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response. Todd I'm not confusing the two I'm talking about DRC. I also use DRC mostly at night when my son or wife are sleeping. I just wanted to get other peoples experiences and opinions of DRC. There is a good article at hometheaterhifi.com about DRC and Dialogue Normalization if your interested.
Later Haywood
cool.gif

------------------
Link Removed

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Are DRC and "midnight mode" one and the same?
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
P.S. Wayne- are you speaking of dialog vs. dialogue? If so, thank you for policing my spelling.
No problem, Todd, but actually I was just trying to find out what Dialogue Normalization is! Don’t really want to muddle through that article this late at night. Can someone sum it up in a sentence or two?
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
The idea behind Dialogue Normalization is to keep the volume level similar, as you switch between different DD sources (LD, DVD, DD broadcasts from various channels of HDTV, etc.). That way, when channel surfing, you don't get blasted by Channel 2, and can barely hear Channel 6.
It does not affect dynamic range, simply overall volume level of all channels.
Todd

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I have the DRC turned on in my DVD player since I don't have it hooked up to a digital receiver with that feature available. From what I can tell, I don't really notice any difference with it on or off (which is a same because DRC was a feature I was really looking to use since I live in an apartment).
I can barely watch "The MAtrix" and "The World is Not Enough"...those two movies have the dialogue recorded so low and the dynamic range so wide. I figure the dialogue "problem" I'm experience is due to two things:
1. the fact that I have to select the 5.1 track and have it downmixed since no dedicated 2.0 track is available
2. the DRC does work on these two titles but its effect is somewhat lost when the 5.1 track is downmixed to two.
Can anyone vouch that they can hear compression when they have their DRC turned on in their receiver when watching either "The Matrix" or "The World is Not Enough"?
I would really appreciate it, if other people say it works, that might get me to upgrade to a digital receiver since the DRC in-player doesn't seem to have an effect.
Thanks
Andy

Steven Lin

Grip
Hopefully someone can correct me, but I think you need to turn on DRC in the device doing the decoding. Therefore, if you're passing the digital signal from the DVD to your receiver, turning DRC on in the DVD isn't going to do anything.
Are you sure your receiver doesn't have DRC? What model do you own? Some brands label DRC as "Midnight Mode".
------------------
Steven
[Edited last by Steven Lin on August 31, 2001 at 01:00 PM]

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Hi Steve,
If that's the case, then maybe that might explain why I don't hear a difference when the DRC is ON or OFF...but then why would the DVD player have such a feature then? Hmmm...well, the DVD does have a decoder to downmix the info to 2 channels.
Currently, I'm using a DPL receiver so that's why it doesn't have "midnight mode" or compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks