What's new

Dylan DVD with new Bootleg Series Vol 5 (1 Viewer)

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series Vol 5. It's very good, for all you Dylan fans out there. I thought I'd mention that there's a bonus DVD in it (limited edition) with two songs mixed to 5.1, both taken from Bob's lost film Renaldo and Clara. Very neat, indeeeeed!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Vic, I thought this set wasn't coming out until tomorrow (Tuesday). I guess some stores put it out early. ;) Best Buy advertised it for just $14.99 in the Sunday flier. Circuit City advertised it for $15.99. Great prices on a two-disc set, especially with the DVD.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
And $17.99 at Tower Records!

I haven't listened to it yet, but I have several bootlegs from this tour, which is among my favorite of all Dylan tours. Possibly my very favorite. Only 65 and 66 really contend for me.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Listening to it now. I find this leaps and bounds better (to my taste) than Live 1966 (of course they were vastly different times in his career). There are a few tracks on Biograph from this tour (namely Isis and Romance in Durango) and these recordings are much better and the performances much more lively. Now hopefully they'll release a similar compilation of his Fall tour of this year once it's done (if it ever is). It's truly amazing how Bob's orchestrations of his classic songs change over the years, and yet they still remain the same songs. Check out bobdylan.com's RealAudio recordings of the current tour to see what I mean.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Argh, I need to catch up. I don't have any of the bootleg series. I've seen a box set with the volumes 1-3, I didn't even realise there was a 4. Is there yet another box set with all 4?

NP: Marillion, Anorak in the UK

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Is there yet another box set with all 4?
No. That title is "The Bootleg Series, Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live, 1966: The 'Royal Albert Hall' Concert."

It's a 2 disc set from the famous '66 show.

The box of which you speak is "The Bootleg Series: Volumes 1-3 [Rare & Unreleased] 1961-1991." It contains stuff from the vaults, mostly studio tracks.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
And Bootleg Series Vol. 6 will be released at some point next year. It is going to be the legendary (and much bootlegged) Philharmonic concert from Halloween 1964. An excellent choice for an excellent series of recordings... long may it run! :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have a promo sampler disc from The Bootleg Series: Volumes 1-3 [Rare & Unreleased] 1961-1991, and it is very good. I never got around to buying the boxed set. Come to think of it, I haven't listened to the sampler in awhile. I should give it a spin. :)

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
So that is not the same material that is on the individual Bootleg Series albums, volumes 1-3?
I don't think there ever were individual albums. They were just released as a set. Since it was three discs, they called it volumes 1-3, but they seem to be inconsistent with their numbering, since vols. 4 and 5 are 2 discs each.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
This album (Vol 5) is an awful lot of fun. I can't even get to disc 2, cause I keep playing disc 1. The DVD is great as well, I just wish there was more than two songs on it. I've seen Bob a few times in concert and he usually seemed to walk through the show without much excitement. On the Rolling Thunder shows he was alive, with real enthusiasm in his performance. Which is a real joy to hear (and see).

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up the Rolling Thunder Review CD & so far I'm more than impressed! Bob rules!
This is a must have!!!:D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Do all the discs have the DVD included? I Mentioned to my mom that I want it for xmas; dont want her to get one without the DVD.

Tower had Dylans 1st, Slow Train & Infidels for $5 each. Easier than recording the lps!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks