What's new

DVI & 720p & 1080i & sigle vs. dual link (1 Viewer)

Dave^Wein

Grip
I'm getting a Panasonic PT-53WX53 tomorrow to go with my SIR-T165.

Do I need a dual link DVI cable? Some stuff I found on the web indicated that to do HDTV on a CRT device over DVI required a dual link cable. Is this correct?

The SIR-T165 came with a single link cable.

Dave

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Found this-

Dual Link:
Dual T.D.M.S. (transition minimized differential signaling) "links". DVI can have up to two TMDS links. Each link has three data channels for RGB information with a maximum bandwidth of 165 MHz, which is equal to 165 million pixels per second. Dual-link connections provide bandwidth for resolutions up to 2048 x 1536p.

Single Link:
Single T.D.M.S. link. Each link has three data channels for RGB information with a maximum bandwidth of 165 MHz, which is equal to 165 million pixels per second. Bandwidth for a single-link connection supports resolutions of over 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz (HDTV).

Dual link vs Single Link:
Don't believe the "hype" some websites are using about dual link cables being superior to single link cables. A single link cable is 100% as good as a dual link cable for single link equipment which covers about 99.5% of current equipment, including HDTV's, Projectors, Plasma Screens, and High Definition Set top Boxes. A better quality cable is a better quality cable, and single and dual link has nothing to do with quality. On the other hand, if both devices being connected support Dual links, then a dual link cable is the proper cable for the application, and you will have the capability of much greater resolutions and refresh rates. A properly designed Dual link cable should have no negative effects when used with single link equipment.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_cables.html
http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Video-Flat.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks