What's new

TiVo Introduces TiVo BOLT (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe 100 OnePasses, of which 10 are "crucial".

I'll probably use cTivo to download the shows to my Mac and pyTivo to allow me to copy them back. ive got both working, but I haven't sorted out how to preserve metadata in shows, round-trip.

I'm trying to get KMTTG to work, since it can download OnePasses and other TiVo info. But that might be unnecessary.

My understanding is that for a 3TB drive, I need only install it (and repair the cable card). I don't think I have to use the more arcane tools like MFSR or MFS unless I was upgrading to a 4TB or larger drive.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got cTivo working with an alpha version that fixes a bug export of metadata text files: I can roundtrip shows off and onto the TiVo, preserving show information; and using only simple downloading, no transcoding. (With some exceptions: I've seen a show be unplayable on the TiVo. And I've seen a show lose episode number from the metadata during download. And copy-protected shows don't transfer.)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=503495&page=6

This is very successful on the whole and might practically eliminate the need for upgrading my hard drive. The space problem isn't our normal viewing, but when I record a full-series marathon. If I can have cTivo copy those to an external hard drive, then delete from the tivo alleviating the space crunch.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was going to review the new Tivo Bolt.

They were going to send me a product to review, however, the lifetime subscription would be my responsibility, and it is now $600 for Tivo units which is twice the price it used to be.

I don't understand Tivo's desire to alienate potential customers with this kind of pricing.

If the lifetime service had still been $300 I would have accepted the unit and done the review.

For $600, I told Tivo I would wait for their next upgrade and then contemplate it for review.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I hadn't seen that they even offered Lifetime for the Bolt; I thought it was subscription only as part of their pricing scheme. But this makes sense of comments I've skimmed lamenting a new $599 Lifetime price. The new pricing scheme is a chief complaint at TCF.

If I were a new buyer for a presumed Bolt Pro -- a Roamio successor with six tuners and 3TB drive -- the lifetime would give me pause. But it's equivalent to 40 months of a $15 subscription. That's still manageable for a device I'd reasonably have for three years.

To your specific case: I'm surprised they don't send you a review unit with attached subscription to try for a month, and then return. A split purchase for review of an expensive hardware device seems odd.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
They did offer for me to receive and return it.

Problem is, that often tends to be difficult if one gets attached to the product -- something I don't want to chance.

The Bolt is not a revolutionary upgrade. At least one of its features is coming to the Roamio.

I told Tivo, for that price, I will wait for the next major iteration of their product.

I already own 4-5 Tivo units with Lifetime subscriptions. I am not in *need* of a new unit now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks