What's new

DVDs you've bought solely for demo purposes (1 Viewer)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
dustin, i'm working on a dual AV-15 sub. once it is finished, i hope to have all the top bass track dvds just to see what she can do.

eric

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Too many to mention.

Pearl Harbor Vista
Fifth Element Superbit
T3 (also to complete collection)

Funny thing is I don't use these too much to demo. I like using:

Any Given Sunday
Matrix Reloaded
LOTR FOTR or TTT
Nemo
Eps. 2

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I saw "The Haunting" remake in the theaters, and absolutely hated it. When people started talking about how great the DTS track sounded, I bought it, even though I hated the movie so much! NOW, I've seen it so many times, that it's actually grown on me. I actually LIKE to watch it now.

I also own Pearl Harbor (Vista Series) but I love the movie. It's one of my favourite movies of all time.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Haunting DTS and U-571 mainly to see what the fuss was about and to test the limits by my SV Subwoofer (which passed with flying colors at reference, btw).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
No, I've got enough movies I enjoy that work as demos.

Although count me among those that have LOTR Fellowship Extended, and will have Two Towers Extended even though I don't much care for the films themselves.

My reasons:
1. I loved the documentaries on the Fellowship set, because I'm a sucker for a good documentary.
2. My plan is to own all 3 and watch them in succession. Having never read the books, I was lost by the first film which is why I didn't really care for it.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I've recently bought a few of these just for this.

Star Wars Episode II
Jurassic Park DTS
Eagles: Hell Freezes Over DTS
Coldplay Live DTS

I don't even know much about the Eagles. Just that their DTS DVD was supposed to have good sound.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I feel that the new Star Wars movies are in fact showcases of ILM and Skywalker sound, because the story is very much driven by these effects and always pushing the limits. That being said, I do find the movies quite enjoyable...

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
It just so happens that most of the movies I like are demo material. :)

However I too bought "The Haunting" for the base.

I also bought "the Stand" because it was one of the first DVD18's and I bought "Very Bad Things" because I heard they had trouble running on Region-free players.

I am often on the lookout for more demo material. :)

Regards

AXE

DougM

Auditioning
GUILTY here. I will almost never buy a movie just because I liked it. I have to like it and it has to be demo worthy. Also if I hated it, but think it's demo worthy Im all over it. I use my dvd's kind of like music cd's. How often do you buy a music cd and like every song? Sometimes just a few scenes is all you need.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
It could be the greatest picture and sound ever, but whats the use if the movie stinks and I cant sit through it.

Ive never done this. I only buy films I really love and can rewatch again and again over time.

DougM

Auditioning
Well I bought the latest Star Wars movie becuase of that speeder chase scene. That movie to me was a huge waste of film but for ten min or so in front of my 100 inch screen, anybodys eyes will be wide open with a HUGE smile on there face.
In fact I rented this movie a long time ago and didnt even make it to the chase scene beofre turning it off I disliked it so much and a few months and a new tv later, It is one of the first I will use to... show off my new diggs ;-) I still havent watched it past that scene though.

-DougM

Keir H

Second Unit
I bought Godzilla (M. Broderick) and Twister way back near the early days of dvd when I was one of the few guys in the aisle looking for dvd's. I got it just for the stomps and booms, but I quickly got real 'demo' material and sold Godzilla months later.

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say that I've never purchased a DVD specifically for that purpose, however I've kept some only because of certain sequences deemed demo worthy.

To name the some:

Star Wars Ep 1: Pod scene
U-571
Titan AE (didn't actually mind this movie otherwise)
Blood: The Last Vampire (a guilty pleasure of mine)
Jurassic Park III

Michael Silla

Second Unit
No one mentions Behind Enemy Lines - for shame :)

I have been so hooked on HD for the past year or so that my DVD buying days has come to an virtual end. I have been seriously tempted to buy a D-VHS deck as of late.

I watched Tears of the Sun on starz!HD the other day and was completely blown away. Ya, it was cropped to 1.78:1 but oh boy it sure looked good :).

Michael

Martice

Screenwriter
Why feel ashamed of liking movies for the A/V performance as much as the story. The amount of people who are lured into HT usually first comment on the sound of the movies that they heard in the audio store. Now with these Plasma and LCD TV's, the general public is actually very excited about bringing the theater experience to their homes.

Remember the public out cry about the Jurassic Park DTS DVD's lack of bass. Hell, Jurassic Park was a wonderful movie but the amount of people who were upset about the audio aspect of the movie was so large that it actually caused the movie company to correct it. The overall strength of the story line wasn't enough to let a tippy toeing T-Rex slip by without rattling the house.

Realistic sound and vision can be the deciding factor if someone likes a movie or not these days. Also, is it a coincidence that the highest selling movies all have exceptional A/V performances. Never before have we been able to experience sound and vision in our own homes like we are now and like it or not, the audio and visual apsects of today's Hollywood offerings on DVD's are just as much of a favorite of HT fans as the the story line itself.

Yes. I do buy movies for the effects and the cherry on top is if I can actually find a good story in there somewhere as well. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks