What's new

DVDA newbie (1 Viewer)

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Ok,

I got my new Denon 1600 (well a refurb, but new to me), and also got my new DA4ES. So I went and got the BareNaked Ladies disk and an Eagles disk, and wow is all I can say. I was not 100% sure what to expect, but I am very happy. Hopefully in the future I will get a SACD player and enjoy both formats. I am only afraid for my bank account, as these disks can be expensive.... All I really need is another expensive hobby... :)

Kimo B.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Kimo,

Welcome to the Hi-Res club.

Head on over to the Music Area when you're ready to discuss available content :)

Regards,

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Kimo,

If your bank account can handle it, definitely get an SACD player soon to go w/ that Denon 1600. :D I just got my Philips 963sa to go w/ my Panny RP91, and SACD does rock! :emoji_thumbsup: Also bought The Eagles' Hotel California and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours on DVD-A to try out w/ the RP91, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. :b

OTOH, if you're worried about your bank account, then maybe you should hold off on SACD since the selection is much greater and will likely run you to the poor house much more quickly. :wink:

_Man_

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Man-Fai and others,
does your reciever have two sets of Muiltchannel inputs, or how does that work??
I would like to get into the DVD-A/SACD club, but my 45tx only has one set of inputs.
I know there are universal players out there, but I really am intrigued by this upsampling of redbook cds that the phillips 963 has to offer. Will i be able to add a stand-alone DVD-A player as well???

Thanks in advance

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

My Sony DA4ES has multiple multichannel inputs, so I decided to go with separates (to keep the short term costs down).. I would think the only way to have both dvda/sacd without a universal is to swap cables between the machines.

Now, my question is this, what is a redbook cd? Are these standard CD's?

Kimo B.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sorry, I'm just sticking w/ 2-channel hi-rez for now, so no MC inputs in my ancient/outdated setup. Haven't felt compelled to upgrade to MC playback yet.

In your case, maybe you can get a dedicated MC switcher much like people are using dedicated HD component video switchers.

If I were to upgrade my setup, I'm still not convinced I need MC switching just yet since I don't see much need to fully support DVD-A just yet.

Given the rate of technological progress right now, I wouldn't worry too much about the future addition of a DVD-A player if you get the Philips DVD/SACD now. By the time you're ready to dive into DVD-A, there will likely be more affordable universal players that you can buy to simply replace the Philips, instead of just adding a DVD-A only player. And if you're just listening to old recordings remastered for the new formats, there might not be much compelling reason to need the MC switching anyway -- at least until there's enough content available that are performed/recorded specifically for MC playback. :)

_Man_

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Kimo, yes redbook are just standard cds.

Man-Fai, I was looking into the Elite 45A universal player, but I think that I would benefit more from having the upsampling of the Phillips.
ANy thoughts?

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, heres a question. What good does upsampeling a regular cd offer? If the CD was made at a lower "quality", how does converting the lower "quality" to higher "quality" make it better?

Just wondering...

Kimo B.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Chris,

I hadn't had time to give the upsampling a good spin just yet since I bought some SACDs to try and am enjoying them too much. :D But plenty of people over on AVSForum love the 96Khz upsampled playback although the 192Khz playback might yield an overprocessed sound from what I understand. Personally, I'm not that big on the idea of upsampling in general, but maybe I'll feel differently when I get a chance to listen carefully.

Kimo,

From what I understand, upsampling could help smooth out and "warm up" the digital sound a bit, particularly on harsher/brighter sounding CDs. But you probably lose a little detail as a result. People are saying the soundstage feels wider/larger and individual sound sources, eg. players/instruments, have more "air" and space about them when upsampling is done right. It's probably comparable to scaling a DVD image to some higher resolution format like 720p or 1080i.

Anyway, had to return my player for replacement due to the green vertical stripes issue in 480p playback. My 2nd unit still has this problem, so looks like I need to return it directly to Philips. :frowning: I should add though that the stripes are very faint and hardly noticeable at all unless on dark grey images -- mostly w/ patterns in AVIA and a tiny bit in certain scenes w/ B&W movies like Citizen Kane.

Also, the player is rather slow to respond to commands, if that's important to you.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks