Some observations about DVDA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Geelan, Sep 5, 2001.

1. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Recently purchased my first DVDA player the RP91. Love this machine, beautiful picture and great sound.
    Only drawback so far is the lack of TIME REMAINING when watching a dvd (this feature should be a given...even my wife misses this feature which was on my Toshiba 2109).
    Went to Radio Shack yesterday to purchase A/V cables to hook up the 6 channel sound from the RP91 to my Denon 3300.
    The guys at Radio Shack though helpful had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned I had a DVDA player and needed cables. Luckily I knew what I needed and was amused by their lack of knowledge though can you imagine a newbie walking into that same store after purchasing a DVD player and depending on these guys?
    Then being curious I drove over to my local THE WIZ a local electronics store now owned by Cablevision. I wondered if they would even carry DVDA at this point. Nope, no DVDA players yet though they do have a nice selection of HDTV sets that look gorgeous (someday...someday..).
    So my point is TG for the HTF where intelligent people reside and give out excellent advise!
    Without HTF I wouldn't even have known about the great RP91 and where to purchase the right cables for it.
    And I am now very curious about those SVS subs everyone is raving about...my small Velodyne sub needs an uplift.
    JohnG
    ------------------

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I am bit surprised that your local The Wiz store had no DVD-Audio players. I was in their store in West Windsor, New Jersey a few weeks ago (near Princeton on Route 1), and they still had the Technics DVD-A10 on display. It was connected to a Technics DVD-Audio-ready receiver, a Klipsch 5.1 speaker set-up, and a TV, and was playing a DVD-Audio disc. When I lived in central New Jersey, The Wiz in Raritan was the first in the area to get the Technics DVD-A10, and they had the same centrally-located display as the store in West Windsor. The store in Raritan was also the first one in the area to get DVD-Audio discs. My guess is that your local The Wiz store will get a next-generation player or maybe a few in soon. They may have sold out of the 'A10, which has been discontinued.
    No matter what stores such as The Wiz, Best Buy, or Circuit City carry, don't expect them to know much, if anything, about the technology. I've gotten blank stares in these stores in response to questions about DVD-Audio and SACD.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Sometimes I think whether a local chain store has a certain model or technology format or not, *heavily* depends on whether there is a local "guru" there to take an interest and set it up (properly).
    ------------------