What's new

DVD Through Computer Network (1 Viewer)

Gary Rhine

Stunt Coordinator
Is it possible to output from a DVD player to a computer and then distribute the datastream through to other computers on a home network?

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
The way you're probably thinking of doing it (putting DVD in drive, sharing drive on network, pointing DVD playing software on different machine to said network share, hitting play) no. There are other methods, from the 'illegal depending on who you ask' to the 'gee it's like watching a quicktime.'

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a fast enough lan, why wouldn't it work? I tried it, installed a software DVD player on a PC and networked the DVD-ROM from the other computer. The only problem was jerky playback because we're on a 10Base-T lan.

Peter

P.S. Both computers are win98se

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Mainly because of the CSS encryption, and the fact that most player software tries to access a local device.

What disc, and what player software, did you use, Peter?

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Besides the encryption, its also a question of bandwidth. You might be able to get semi decent playback over 100BaseT if the only thing the LAN was doing at the time was DVD playback, and your net cards could get the full 10Mbps stream out to the network.

And it has to be perfect, no dropped bits/frames. Otherwise the jerkiness will be unbearable.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Peter,

How did you point WinDVD at the remote resource? I'd like to try it myself; I've never gotten in to work.

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I set up sharing on my DVD-ROM drive, and mapped it to the other computer (naming it "G" or something like that). I went into the WinDVD settings, and what do ya know, drive G is in there!

I'm not sure if it will work with all players though.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks