What's new

DVD Recorder Purchase Help (DVD-RAM Compatible) (2 Viewers)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
John,

I've tried -R and +R discs in many players, and -R was (slightly) more compatible.

There are (at least) hundreds of players on the market, obviously you haven't tried the exact same ones I have. Nothing surprising about that.

As far as the future, there is obviously nothing to worry about with -R because the DVD Forum is behind it.

Microsoft, that't PC stuff. I could care less. I'm talking about recording movies.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
John,

I do DVD duplication of training videos for corporations. I used to use both +R and -R and the way I charge my customer is: blank media + service, so it doesn't matter which format I use, I still make the same amount of $$.

Guess what? there are more customers coming back informing me that the +R doesn't work rather than the -R media (so far, only one report; whereas more than 30 complaints about +R media).

Please bear in mind that 30 complaints out of more than 2,000 DVD+R are not bad at all, but still 30 times MORE complaints than DVD-R.

Now that I've change my business model (one price including media), I only use -R media, and since then (about another 1,500 DVD-R), not a single complaint.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm not here to argue which is better. DVD+R & DVD-R both have basically the same amount of compatibility, but those statistics are only because DVD-R's were tested on -R players and DVD+R's were tested on +R player...most people have older players that don't even support +R so it's fair to say (at this point in time) that DVD-R is more compatible with the mass public because there are more -R (only) players out there than +R.

In the future (when everybody has upgraded to a DVD+R compatible player) and when the DVD Forum has accepted it, then we can all turn over to DVD+R, but until then I'm sticking with -R because I can guarantee you that everyone of my family and friends don't have a +R compatible player.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
For what it's worth, I use both formats for business and have had only 2 people say they couldn't play DVDs. One was DVD-R, the other a DVD+R.

Also, maybe there is a price difference in media in Canada or small towns, but here in Las Vegas, I can do down the street to Fry's, Comp USA, Best Buy, etc and find multiple brands of each for exactly the same prices.

I really think the whole format war is blown out of proportion. Since most players made since 2000 can handle it all (except RAM), it is mostly a non-issue. Certainly not a VHS/Beta comparison. I just use the plus format more since there isn't a washout effect, and I like to be able to play erasable discs in other players.. Hopefully Panasonic will fix that soon.

Overall, very happy with both recorders.

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the info. I went to Best Buy, today only sale for 10% off my purchase and 18 months interest free financing.

I had to choose from the phillips 985 out of box with no manual or remote for 400$, phillips dv75 new model which replaced the 985 for 500$, or the new E60 Panasonic for 540$, or the Panasonic E30 for $400.

I chose the E30, it took two hours to decide. +RW and +R on the phillips seems to be more popular format. But then I remembered that the Panasonic probably had DCDI chip even though its not mentioned on the box. One other difference is that the Phillips has Component input, but what would I use it for beside maybe a sat or cable receiver since you cant record regular commercial dvds.

The E60 was almost 200$ more, which had a dvi input and card slots for pc and media cards which I dont use or have. So since I didnt plan on using any of those features I opted for the E30.

I also remembered comments about the RF flex recording. What I didnt realize till after I already decided on the Panny was that DVD Ram allows better editing options that I dont think +RW can do.

I'll try it out and let you know what I think.

I also have a Panasonic RP82, so DVD Ram should play on it.

Another Deciding factor is a recent article that Panny claims to have a 50% world wide market share on dvd recorders, and is coming out with a new full line including a new facility to manufacture them, they wouldnt be doing this if DVD RAM was on its way out.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Just wanted to let people known that www.crutchfield.com has the 30 in the Scratch & Dent Section for $339.99 & you never have to worry about Crutchfield because they have a great return policy.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I have recorded over 175 titles to DVD-R, most recently, Napoleon, Helen of Troy, Children of Dune and Hitler. Those titles were recoreded on two RAMS. I then flagged the commercials and re-recorded to DVD-R. The picture is excellent not at all washed-out.

I have two Toshiba HD widescreen 16x9 TV's and all my home DVD recordings from Laserdisc, SVHS, VHS and DirecTV are excellent. I have not and continue to not experience any washed-out looking DVD's.

In conclusion, if you are experiencing this problem it has nothing to do with the Panasonic recorders as far as I can see.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Ernest, how did you do these recordings and on what machine? Did you record on dvd-ram? How did you then move it to dvd-r? 2 machines? recorder and a pc? thanks

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same exact question. I was wondering how you could get the flagged dvd ram onto the dvd-r. I guess unless you had the hard drive Panny, you would have to have a dvd ram playing on your dvd player that supports ram, and play it into the dvd recorder, though Im not sure if the recorder will record off the dvd ram signal.
Does anyone know how this could work?

Also, If you had a favorite Obsolete media (Pick any) that you wanted to back up before it rotted or came unglued would you record in Flex Record mode for 2 hours, SP for 2 hours, or is there any benefit or sense in recording it for 1 hour in XP mode split over two discs. Essentially, is there going to be a significant difference between flex recording, SP, and XP for a S-video signal transfered to DVD Ram or DVD-R.

(No Copywrite Violations or bootlegging implied or condoned)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
How did this thread get into a DVD+/- debate? Mark made it extremely clear that he's only interested in a DVD-RAM unit.

Personally IMO both DVD-R and DVD+R are toys compared to DVD-RAM, which is the real deal, both in set-top boxes and especially computer use. -R/W and +R/W are both doomed. Once you've used DVD-RAM there's no going back. Well, maybe that's a gross overstatement... :)

I wish I had a stand-alone DVD player that was DVD-RAM compatible.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the support Philip. I've been waiting for the Panasonic DMR-E60S to become available. It's finally on the Panny web site. It looks like this is the one I've narrowed it down to.

I signed up to be notified (from CNET) when the E50 and E60 become available to purchase online. I received a notification about the E50 a while back, but I'm still waiting to be notified about the E60. Hopefully this will make its way into the online stores soon.

Philip, What's your take on the E60? The one advantage I like over the E50 is it's DV input and Memory card slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks