DVD Recorder Hook-up question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by millercv, Jan 2, 2003.

1. millercv

millercv Second Unit

Ok I typically laugh in the face of setting up electronics. When people see how much stuff I have hooked up in my HT they usually run away screaming. I've even tried to work it out on paper and even I don't think it is possible.

However, for some reason I can't wrap my head around the best way to hook up a DVD Recorder in my system to have it do what I want it to do. I've just ordered the Panasonic HD DVD recorder and I want to have everything ready for it when it arrives.

Ok lets simplify things here down to: TV, Receiver, DVD, and Tivo.

The receiver's Video1 input has s-video in/out so I will probably hook the DVD player there.

Tivo will be in Video2 lets say.

So now I want to record something - so in this case do I start recording on the dvd (with video1 selected) and then switch to video2 and play (perhaps pausing recording until play is hit).

I don't see how one could check the status of recording, etc while it is playing without switching inputs.

Tivo has 2 outputs but only 1 svideo output. What I was thinking was to put a switcher from Tivo S-video out to select whether it goes to receiver or DVD. Then I would just put the receiver on video1. I considered putting the switcher between the outs of the receiver and the dvd however then you would potentially be seeing/hearing different things.

I was hoping of a more "elegant" way of hooking this up.

How does everyone else do it?

Thanks!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Chris,

3. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

From what you have described I understand you want to record from TIVO to DVD? If that is true your hook-up is simple. Connect the A/V (S-Video) outputs on the TIVO to the A/V (S-Video) inputs on the DVD Recorder. Then run a toslink cable from the recorder to your receiver. Set the audio in the recorder to output "Bitstream". To finish the hook-up run your component video lines from your DVD Recorder to your TV. You are all set.

4. millercv

millercv Second Unit

Thanks for the replies. I just listed the Tivo as a source just for an example - I've got a number of other devices I'm going to be hooking to it. The Panasonic recorders do have a time shift option so you can watch from the beginning while it is recording. So you will have to have the DVD recorder selected on the receiver but then . . .

I guess at this point I'm struggling with in what case the output on Video1 would be useful for I guess what I am looking for is a "monitor" option.

I'll figure it out once it comes I guess...