What's new

DVD Recorder Hook-up question. (1 Viewer)

millercv

Second Unit
Ok I typically laugh in the face of setting up electronics. When people see how much stuff I have hooked up in my HT they usually run away screaming. I've even tried to work it out on paper and even I don't think it is possible.

However, for some reason I can't wrap my head around the best way to hook up a DVD Recorder in my system to have it do what I want it to do. I've just ordered the Panasonic HD DVD recorder and I want to have everything ready for it when it arrives.

Ok lets simplify things here down to: TV, Receiver, DVD, and Tivo.

The receiver's Video1 input has s-video in/out so I will probably hook the DVD player there.

Tivo will be in Video2 lets say.

So now I want to record something - so in this case do I start recording on the dvd (with video1 selected) and then switch to video2 and play (perhaps pausing recording until play is hit).

I don't see how one could check the status of recording, etc while it is playing without switching inputs.

Tivo has 2 outputs but only 1 svideo output. What I was thinking was to put a switcher from Tivo S-video out to select whether it goes to receiver or DVD. Then I would just put the receiver on video1. I considered putting the switcher between the outs of the receiver and the dvd however then you would potentially be seeing/hearing different things.

I was hoping of a more "elegant" way of hooking this up.

How does everyone else do it?

Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris,

I don't see how one could check the status of recording, etc while it is playing without switching inputs.
Not sure you can do this - what “status” would you be checking? This is not a like a three-head cassette deck, where you can check the taped signal immediately after it’s recorded.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ernest

Supporting Actor
From what you have described I understand you want to record from TIVO to DVD? If that is true your hook-up is simple. Connect the A/V (S-Video) outputs on the TIVO to the A/V (S-Video) inputs on the DVD Recorder. Then run a toslink cable from the recorder to your receiver. Set the audio in the recorder to output "Bitstream". To finish the hook-up run your component video lines from your DVD Recorder to your TV. You are all set.

millercv

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies. I just listed the Tivo as a source just for an example - I've got a number of other devices I'm going to be hooking to it. The Panasonic recorders do have a time shift option so you can watch from the beginning while it is recording. So you will have to have the DVD recorder selected on the receiver but then . . .

I guess at this point I'm struggling with in what case the output on Video1 would be useful for I guess what I am looking for is a "monitor" option.

I'll figure it out once it comes I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks