What's new

DVD-R vs. DVD+R: What's better (1 Viewer)

Hi all: never mind the rest of the WWW, what do you think?

I've got a new Phillips DVD+R recorder upstairs and a JVC combo VCR/ DVD-R professional deck in the home theater. No problem in playing finalized disks on either deck or my computers.

Given like signal inputs, which format is better 'plus-R' or 'minus-R'? I can't tell.

BTW: The JVC deck is great. Doing a side by side VHS to DVD-R comparison after dubbing to DVD-R, the DVD comes out looking better . . . is that possible?

jk3

Link Removed

Dean_S

Second Unit
-R discs will play in almost all DVD players. +R discs are in the 85% range for standalone player compatibility. Other then that I don't know which is better, I guess that depends on what you mean by better...to me -R is better b/c I can burn a movie and play it on anything, can't do that with a +R consistently.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Like everything else, DVD-R compatibility has its limits. Older players (say, more than 3 years) may have trouble. The MPAA found that out the hard way when they used DVD-R to send out Oscar screeners, and a lot of members with older machines couldn't play them.

I have a Panasonic A310 from about 1998, and its performance with DVD-R is erratic at best, even though the DVD-Rs have been burned on a Pioneer recorder. My Sony 7000 won't even read DVD-R.

M.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
I think the major difference between dash R and plus R as stated are compatiblity. But it gets even tricker with older equipment. I can make a DVD-R 4X that will play on everything I have, but if I do a DVD-R 8X of the same title, it won't play on a new Toshiba but will on the old Toshiba!

In the area of RW, I only have experience with plus RW which according to the specs has a wider degree of editing than the dash RW. The Liteon recorder will do all, the Aspire only does plus R/RW and does it badly.

So you also have recorder problems as well that leads to problems. Almost makes you wish it was as easy as Beta vs VHS.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks