What's new

DVD players (and receivers): Marantz and Denon (1 Viewer)

Tom Mertz

Agent
I'm just getting my feet wet in the home theater world, and will be upgrading my receiver and DVD player soon. I currently have Paradigm Monitor 7/cc-370/ADP-370/PS and am looking at Denon or Marantz to run with them.

I've heard alot more about Denon than I have Marantz. The shop where I brought the Paradigms demoed them on Marantz gear, and I thought it was great. I've read though that some think that Denon can make the Paradigms too bright, while the softer Marantz gear works well with them. I'll be using this stuff mostly for HT, but am looking for audio performance as well.

I've heard alot of good things about the Denon 2200, which another local place has a good price on, but I think if I went with Denon I'd hold out for the 2910. Marantz seems to have a strong reputation with the audio folks, but I've read conflicting reviews on the video capabilities. Home Theater Mag gave the DV6400 a pretty good review, but it didn't seem to do very well in the "Secrets" test. Since I'd like the long term capability of RS-232, I'd probably look at the DV8400 anyway. How does the 8400 compare pricewise to Denon?

Oh, and the reason I mention receivers in the title is because I'd prefer to stay with the same brand for both components.

Any input is appreciated-

Thanks,

Tom

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I have the DV6400 and compare it very closely with my Yamaha CX-1. Very good, rich, vibrant colors. As for multi-channel, I thought it sounded a little more "bright" on my setup than my Elite DV-45A. There's my 2 cents.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Tom, with the today's remotes I don't see why you need to buy the same brand reciever and DVD player. If I were you, I'd get the Marantz reciever and a Denon player. I too would hold out for the alleged 2910. If you fixed the few minor annoyances of the 2900, to me, that would be a nice player. You might even take the 2900 as it is if you could swing a closeout price, maybe? That would leave more $$ for the reciever, if that matters?

The 2900 layer change is literally hard to figur! I don't know if the authors can screw up a layer change bad enough that the 2900 can't hide it? I haven't seen it yet. It's proably possible!?! Have fun with your shopping!:)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have the Marantz DV6400 and I find the audio very nice so far, especially with SACD, but it does have a bit of glitch that I just discovered. I've been using it in two channel mode until we move next week but I found a post in another forum that I had to verify. If you set the player to default to M/C for SACD, it will go to the M/C layer BUT if you play a stereo only SACD and then put a M/C SACD in the player, the default setting will have switched to two channel. In other words, the default setting is in reality, no such thing. I overlooked the fact that the only way to select two channel or m/c SACD was via the set up menu (requires OSD) and there was no simple one button solution on the remote or player itself because I assumed the default setting would work as it should. I've had my player too long to return it, and I do like its audio capabilities with hi-res music (PQ is not an issue as I have another player for that) but if I'd known about this problem, I might have chosen another player. Oh well, in the grand scheme of things, this is a minor irritant, but I was pretty steamed yesterday when I discovered this problem.

Tom Mertz

Agent
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Rachael, you make a good point. I'm going to need to break myself of the habit of thinking everything has to be the same brand!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a Marantz 8300 and the 2200, and it's a great combo. Personally, I prefer Marantz sound to Denon when it comes to receivers, but video, Denon makes a better product, IMO. For video for the price, the 2200 is an excellent all around player. Not as good as the 2900, but still very good at everything. I have had almost no problems with it, with the exception of one disc that simply would not play. Both hires formats sound great, but my 222ES sounds better with SACD than the 2200. Video is quite good with the 2200. If you look at the secrets tests, though the 2200 scored low, it did pass the vast majority of the tests and the comment in their review was still positive. I have been very happy with this player. Most likely I will look to replace it with the 3910 when it hits stores.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, I recently put my 222ES in my theatre to compare to the 2900, in stereo. I'd say the race ain't over but the 222 has the early lead.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Tom, I bought all Pioneer in the early 90's so the reciever's remote would operate my Laserdisc player. Since, Gna-aah! Anyway, scrutinize the remotes. That's an area that Marantz, historically, does well on and Denon poorly. Havin' a bitchin' remote with the head unit is worth alot in the long run. BTW, I have a Marantz head unit, AV9000 pre. I stille love it after all these years. ...came with a great remote too!

I aggree with a previous poster's opine that Denon has better players. Marantz's are Pieauhnears dressed up a bit. Best wishes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks