What's new

Hi (1 Viewer)

larrybooher

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Booher
I am retired and studying to be a musician/composer (what I wish I could have done 45 years ago, but there was NO $ in music back then).

My current home theater is a 3-year old 70" 240HZ 3D Sharp Aquos - it was the best large screen I found after about a month of auditions (I would have gotten the 80" model, but there were long waiting lists in Southern California at the time (just before the 2012 Olympics) - and I checked around a lot!). I will likely upgrade to a 4k system when there is a good amount of over-the-air and DVD content for that format, and the prices have come down on 80"sets.

I have had a lot of receivers over the years - currently I use a several year old Marantz driving a very old Infinity surround system with each speaker having the same tweeter with the result that I have an overall seamless sound. Speech has a very high resolution on my system, the surround adds a lot to well-recorded movies, and the system produces NO fatigue from long listening. I am particularly pleased with the Marantz receiver. The Marantz replaced a very highly rated (at the time of purchase) Denon and immediately produced a more pleasant, defined, and relaxing sound.

The system includes a very old self-amplified bass speaker that I have to turn way down or it rattles the house (dust actually falls from the rafters!!!!)!

I have used a number of DVD players. Most, including highly rated models, had problems - particularly annoying were VERY slow start-up and interruptions in playback. I recently changed to a modestly priced Samsung that my son has been using, and I am very happy with it. The picture is better and the start-up speed and reliability are much better than its expensive, high-rated predecessors.

We watch a lot of movies on the system, but very little 3D as there is not much produced in that format at a reasonable price. (I hate to pay $35-45 for a movie we will just watch once!)

For TV we use DISH plus an over-the-air antenna that my local TV guy recommended and installed. The antenna has half a dozen bow-ties in front of a flat reflector and delivers an excellent picture from the transmitters on Mt. Wilson about 60 miles away. I recently switched to the Hopper DISH receivers and like the upgrade. The Hopper is easy to use and stores about a zillion movies.

For classical and jazz listening, I use a studio monitor system set up in another room with my keyboard, etc.

I am pretty satisfied with my current systems. I keep reading about and auditioning new products - but nothing I audition seems to offer a significant improvement in either the theater set-up or the music listening setup (except 4K - see note above). We'll see what I find here -

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hi Larry and welcome to HTF. There are a LOT of good sales on 3D material all the time, keep checking our bargain forum for heads up on that! I agree they are mostly overpriced but they are sweeeeet when ya can get em running right!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks