What's new

DVD Player Zooming Out (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Do any of the new Progressive dvd players have the ability to reduce the image, in small increments? I like this feature to correct for overscan in the TV.
Toshiba's 4750/4700/5700 models do this: the first zoom out seems to zoom out to recover the 5% or so overscan of my TV. Do any other players? Does the JVC s60? The web site suggests that you can only half the image size, which is no good.
Thanks,
Martin.
------------------
DVD Collection

Real Name
Takayuki Kihara
Malata does it beautifully. The player has the x-y scaling feature and you can easily scale in, scale out while preserving the image quality. It also allows you to shift the image anywhere you like (from top to bottom, from side to side), and you can even change the aspect ratio of the image if you like (I'm not sure if this is very useful, though).
I seem to remember reading that new progressive JVC does zoom in, but not vice versa. I may be wrong because I don't own the player by myself, but I guess the JVC owners can help you about it.

Leo A. Chimo

Agent
The JVC S60 does NOT do incremental zoom out, it jumps to 1/2X.
When I first zoomed out, I assumed the setting on my new tv were screwed up; I didn't know about overscan. Does anyone else have a problem with overscan? It bugs me to think that I am missing out on 5% of my favorite movies, and I'm not doing a 1/2x zoom out. You would think that dvd players or tvs would have a setting to compensate for overscan. Everyone's thoughts?
Chimo

Leo A. Chimo

Agent
Bump-
This is the second time (for my question) with no response! I can't believe that no one has an opinion about overscan! Does every one just accept it? Is this another example of "an acceptable loss"? Or does everyone not have dvd players that zoom out?
confused.gif

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Zooming in small increments is a very expensive feature to put into a DVD player. The necessary circuit falls into the category of a scaler. Also stand-alone scalers vary in quality, and to build one into a DVD player adds yet another dimension to the apples vs. oranges comparison of one player against another.
You can imagine the buyer's dilemma of choosing this DVD player with excellent incremental zoom but a mediocre line doubler for progressive scan, versus that DVD player that does not exhibit the chroma bug but has problems with ... you know what I mean.
You are much better off adjusting the TV for lesser overscan, or to buy an external scaler despite the slight picture softening due to additional analog to digital transitions involved.
More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on November 15, 2001 at 04:17 PM]

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Allan, I don't think $350 is too much to pay for a player that does incremental zooming, horizontal/vertical panning, independent x-y scaling, progressive scan, PAL/NTSC switching, and region free to boot!
I'm talking about the Malata DVD-N996. I had an order with AVDeals, but they stopped carrying it so my order was cancelled. However, I was able to find one from another source, and it just came in today.
I've had less than an hour to play with it so far, and am quite impressed by everything I've seen. I shall post a review after I have had a chance to spend more time with it.
I'm one happy camper!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks