What's new

DVD Player through VCR Question (1 Viewer)

John Gido

Second Unit
My daughter has an older TV set that only has an RF connector. She already has a VCR connected to it. She wants a DVD player.

Is it possible to connect the DVD player to the VCR so she can use both? I understand about the picture quality of the DVD being degraded with this set-up but I'm trying to connect both units to the TV.

If not, can I purchase an RF modulator to connect the DVD to one half of a 75 Ohm splitter or switch with the VCR connected to the other side thereby having 1 RF connection to the TV?

Thanking you all in advance.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I have seen these modulators at WalMart as well as Radio Shck. The problem with going thru the VCR is that the macrovision encoding will make the image all messy.

You are best off with the modulator.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
It's not just a question of picture quality. It will be literally unwatchable.

The RF converter I have seen will let you plug both the VCR output and the DVD player output into them. Whenever it senses signal coming from the DVD player, it will automatically switch over.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
I had to go over to a friends last night to help him out with the same hookup.

Going through the VCR the picture faded in and out all the time and was pretty much unwatchable as stated above.

The RF converter he purchased at WalMart solved the problem. It was 30 $CDN which should be about 20 USD or less. It has an input and output Cable style connectors for antenna/cable in, out to TV, and composite inputs L/R/Vid for the DVD connections.

John Gido

Second Unit
Thanks to all who have replied. I will look in my local RatShack for an RF modulator that will accept both the VCR & DVD.

Jason GT

Second Unit
This was an issue for me before, as I had an older TV with only coax; the VCR passthrough actually worked for me.
Two caveats:
1) the picture quality was *slightly* impaired. It was very watchable, but macrovision protected discs had these three thin white lines which faded in and out. Slightly distracting but not that bad because the television set was so old :D
2) Both VCR and DVD player were Toshiba models. Like that makes any difference, but you never know.
Incidentally, I loved those RAdio Shack commercials advertising the RF Modulator. pretty darn funny.

Tim BBB

Auditioning
I was actually suprised to read this thread.

When I was at college, I always had to hook my DVD player through my VCR, and the results were not as people are claiming they had with their own experiences.

Of course, the quality wasn't really good because the TV was a cheap $99 one... but I never have had any problems with picture fuzzyness or anything of that sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks