DVD Player Recommendations

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChrisMcK, Jan 26, 2004.

1. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

Hi All
    As always, I value all of your opinions and I am asking for them once again
    I recently upgraded from a HTIB to the Onkyo TX SR 601 and I have Cambridge soundworks speakers [Newton MC 300 across the front and Newton MC 200 for surrounds]. TV is a sony 27" Wega but I will be updating to a CRT RPTV, Hi Def of course, within 6 months.
    I plan on spending up to $300 on a DVD player and my only requirements are progressive Scan and coax and digital outs.
    I would like DVD A or SACD but that is not a definite requirement. DVI would also be good as a sort of future proofing but I dont think I'll see much in this in this price range - although I think Samsung may have something in this range.
    Any help and or recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

You want to look for Faroudja based or what they call DCDi. Your price range for a very nice player seems reasonable.

Best of luck with it....

3. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Chris,
    How do you like the MC300's? I have the same front soundstage and I love it. I don't come across too many others w/Newtons. What type of sub are you using? I have the Mitsubishi DD-8040 DVD player. Its $249 new at Tweeter and it has the Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer. It also has DVD-Audio. You may want to check it out.

4. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mark
    I love my Newtons - the give me a great soundsatge. I am using a bass cube 10S [got a deal from the CSW store]. When I move into my new house I am looking at going with some Tower II's up front, but nothings definate yet.
    I am looking at DVD players with the Faroudja DCDi deintercer and the Mits sounds like a good deal. Does CSW sell it because I have a 10% discount

I couldn't make out what your tv is, what model is it??

5. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

What about the $1k+ players from Adcom, etc? What type of deinterlacers do they use?