What's new

DVD player connected as DVD and CD?? (1 Viewer)

GaryGnu

Auditioning
I use my DVD player as my CD player also. Recently, my regular CD player stopped working, so I started using my DVD player. I would expect that what I am about to describe is a common problem, but its hard to search for this type of thing.

On my receiver, obviously, I have inputs for CD and DVD. Currently, I am only using the DVD input jacks. I have both the RCA cables connected as well as an optical digital connection. It is a pain switching back and forth the Surround settings needed for the DVD and the standard stereo settings needed for CD. What I would like to do is connect the DVD player RCA cables to the CD input on my receiver, and leave the optical digital connection as is. That way, when I change the input selector on my receiver to CD, I don't need to fiddle with the surround settings for DVD. I also use a Graphic Equalizer when I am playing CDs.

Does this make sense? Can I do this without creating any problems?

Another option I considered was using Y connectors to split RCA cables coming from the DVD player to go to both the DVD and CD inputs on the receiver. But is this necessary? Here's my equipment:

Pioneer VSX-D811S Receiver
Pioneer DV-414 DVD player
Pioneer Graphic Equalizer

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gary

LuisDC

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the first method you described is the preferred method anyhow...

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
What I would like to do is connect the DVD player RCA cables to the CD input on my receiver, and leave the optical digital connection as is.
Gary, this should work just fine. In fact, it is preferable to splitting the RCA's because the RCA's aren't even used for digital surround.

Additionally, if your receiver allows you to map inputs to sources, you could just use the optical cable. You would tell your receiver to look at the optical input for CD, and set your sound preference to stereo. Then, you would program the receiver to also look at the optical input for DVD, and set your surround preference. I'm not familiar with your receiver, so this may not be an option...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks