What's new

DVD player came with hdmi but... (1 Viewer)

SeanHen

Agent
Picked up a Toshiba SD-5970 for BB today. First off let me say that im a newbie to all this HT stuff. I have a Philips 42" plamsa with amblight, model 42pf9976. The unit came with Hdmi-Hdmi cable. I also bought the moster cable, hdmi-hdmi, for the same price of the darn dvd player. Never thought I'd see the day when the cabl ecost more than the unit. Either way the unit didnt exactly blow me away. The remote wasnt impressive. In terms of video I dont think that it brought out the full potential of my TV.

Was/is the mostercable even worth it? The thing costs 149. Hurt my heart to buy it, but I figured I could always return it. Any other option to get the best picture.

help a newbie out please. Thanks in advance.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Sean, 1st of all.. do you have a video calibration disc such as Digital Video Essentials or Avia? get one and calibrate the display.

Check out these threads in the primer
Overview of calibration and Overview of Test & Calibration DVDs

Get either of these discs (based on the primer - whichever you think sounds easier.. probably Avia)
[url=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005PJ70.01._PE25_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg] [/url]

[url=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/630551982X.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.gif] [/url]

I think the Avia Guide may be a more complete disc for setting up the whole HT environment, but I'm sure either one will do for your display.

I'd say you should calibrate and try out the stock HDMI cable before throwing your money at Mobster® Cable.

SeanHen

Agent
Ok i watched two movies on the Sd-5970 last night, Manchrurian candidate and Resident Evil. The latter because the packaging had HD on the lable. Two days before I had the Sony RDR-GX7 and watched a few DVd's. I noticed that the picture on the RDR-GX7 seemed more life like and reloaded faster. It is because its a DVD recorder. I placed the same DVD in the SD-5970 and the images werent as detailed. Does that have anything to do the read speed? Im kind of new to this so its hard for me to explain the difference in image reproduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks