What's new

DVD Empire - Shipping Problems? (1 Viewer)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I had an order ship out last Friday (4/26) that still has not arrived yet. I almost always get them on Monday, occasionally Tuesday. Today is Friday and still no package. I called just to confirm they were shipped. They said yes, but that if I did not get them I was SOL. I asked what they meant and basically they said if I don't get them, too bad. WTF?

Anybody else have problems with them? I have dealt with them for a long time (and easily spend $300-$500 per month) and never had a problem, but this will easily get me to cancel all pre-orders with them.

If they don't show up, will it be possible to take this up with my credit card and get credited for goods not received? After all, what proof is there that they sent them, aside from them telling me they did?

Thanks,

Jason

Paul D Young

Second Unit
My last order shipped out 4/30 and arrived yesterday in IL. I have never had any late arrivals with DVD Empire.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
You didn't say how you had them ship it, but I'm going to roll with the USPS. Once it leaves DVD Empire's warehouse, their responsibility is over with and it now falls on the post office. I think this is stated somewhere on DVD Empire's website.

It could have been misrouted, or stolen, or whatever, but before you call anyone up to scream at them, I have to let you know that there is no guarantee that you'll ever get it unless you pay higher shipping charges. Sorry.

Glenn

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
It was sent via the regular priority mail. Their policy sounds like bullshit to me. What proof do they have that it ever left the warehouse? (granted, what proof do I have that I never got it, but I'm not poor to the point I have to scam $95 worth of DVDs that I already have off of somebody)
Anyway, I talked to my credit card and they said they will compensate me, but I have to wait 30 days. No big deal. If they don't show up by the end of next week and they won't ship a new order, I will cancel all of my pre-orders (which currently exceeds $1,000).
Nice customer service. :angry:

Jeff Howard

Agent
I had the same problem with them about a month ago & was pretty upset to be told that they take no responsibility for missing shipments.In 2 years of ordering online i had never gotten a response like that from any other dealer when an order took longer then usuual to arrive.Bottom line is i finally received my order 3 weeks from when it was shipped(must have gotten lost?)but i will think twice before ordering from them again.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Why don't you pay for shipping that is insured & trackable? I am surprised that you are blaming the wrong party when it is the USPS that is screwing up.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
If USPS or UPS loses a shipment it should still be up to the merchant to offer a reship or a refund of ALL charges to the consumers credit card. I work at a retail hardware store that sells items via our internet site, and on ocassion items have gotten lost. Our policy is once the customer has contacted us about the missing shipment, is to offer a reship or refund. The merchant should take some responsibility to replace lost shipments. If a merchant told me tough s**t about a package once it has shipped. You'd better believe I'll never place another order with them again.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Why don't you pay for shipping that is insured & trackable?
I've found the big two, Fedex and UPS, to be just as fallible (if not more so) than the US Postal Service. The sad part is that USPS Priority Mail shipments are both insurable and trackable... its up to the merchants.
Getting back to the topic at hand: I made my first and last order with DVD Empire in March. I didn't have a lot of cash on hand and on the spur of the moment decided that I had made a mistake in not ordering Mickey Mouse in Living Color so I shopped around for the best price and DVD Empire was it. I ordered the title on 3/7 and had it shipped Media Mail (which I have done tens of times with Deep Discount and *never* had a problem... like clockwork it shows up 7 days later).
Two weeks go by and no disc. I write them an email and they write back that I need to give it 3 weeks total and then they will see about replacing it (I'm judging from the comments in this thread that the only reason they replaced mine was that I was a first timer). So on 3/28 they send me a new one that arrives on 4/7, a month after I ordered the first disc.
Bottom line: I get better prices and better service at DDD. I must say that DVD Empire is the only DVD e-tailer I've ever seen that doesn't replace lost packages. I guess they're willing to lose a few customers to save a few bucks in replacement costs.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
My package finally showed up. The boxed was pretty bashed and a portion of the shipping label had been torn off...miracuosly I only suffered one broken hub. Obviously the fault of the postal service.

I would not have any problem spending a few extra bucks on the UPS (FEDX is a bit too much) but where I live there is NEVER anybody hear to sign for packages during the day and the UPS office is a bit of a hike. Also, where I work, for whatever stupid reason, we are not allowed to have things like this shipped to us there.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have placed about a hundred orders with Empire, and have NEVER had a problem. I always go the priority mail route...

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
On your first problem you decide to stop doing business with them? Very kind of you to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The only problem I ever had with them, I went back to check on my original order and realized I sent it out via the cheapest way, which was regular mail (not Priority), so the error was mine. Are you sure you requested Priority Mail and not just regular mail? There is a difference.

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
The thing that really bugs me about dvd empire is the way I always pick titles that are listed as in stock, then when I actually submit the order, invariably one of them will come up as "on order." How does that keep happening? If I wanted to wait for something, I wouldn't go out of my way to pick things that are listed as in stock.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You know, it's always easy to hit the wrong shipping-preference button by mistake. I did once, stupidly hitting "Media Mail" instead of "USPS Priority Mail." So, no wonder it took nearly two weeks for those preorders to arrive.

I've never had a single problem with DVD Empire in nearly two years of doing business with them. That is one classy operation, and a helluva good place to find great prices and a wide selection. I love DVD Empire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks