What's new

DVD Cleaning (1 Viewer)

Matt.CB

Auditioning
Could someone please recommend a product to hand clean a rental DVD before putting it into our DVD player.

Would Windex be OK?

Many Thanks!
Matt

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Very mild, soapy water and a soft, lint-free cotton cloth should work fine. (Not paper towels, if you're anal. Paper can scratch plastic.)

I'm uncertain about Windex. The ammonia in it may be harmful to the DVD plastic.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
There's been mixed opinion here about the use of Windex. I'd recommend against it - the ammonia.

Generally, a very soft non-linting cloth (no lens tissue!) and just plain water should be able to remove the vast majority of the gunk that's removable.

If you absolutely need a more active solvent, if I remember properly, NIST recommends as a sort of last line of defense to be an alcohol based cleaner.

And, of course, wipe across the data track, not along it.

In a pinch, I've often used (a) a relatively clean cotton or cotton/poly shirt, and, as needed, (b) a bit of Universal Museum Solvent.

Leo Kerr

P.S. What do you mean, you don't know where to get UMS?! From a relatively clean mouth, spit on your hand, lick your finger, whatever, and use it! ;)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
FWIW Netflix recommends Windex (they avoid the brand name, but that's what they mean)

One would think that they wouldn't suggest something that will shorten the life of their merchandise.

Ted

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
For light scratches you should use Turtle Wax. Yep, Turtle Wax. I've seen it used in professional recording studios to "fix" CDs. Use just a little. Buff it on and buff it off (don't rush).

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Simple Green. Highly diluted Simple Green (read the bottle for the window washing dilution, use it) works great and it's ammonia free. Also, use a good microfiber cloth like the type used to clean computer monitors and television screens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks