What's new

DVD Audio (1 Viewer)

Kevin T.

Grip
Well i finally figured out how to hook this dvd audio up :)
and being the first time ive heard it, i must say, WOW. Now im hoping they release more of these :)

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yep, it's amazing, isn't it?

If you want to open yourself up to more hi-rez titles, get an SACD player, too. The prices have been coming down on the players and there are quite a few discs available.

You get the best of both worlds, but switching can be a pain unless you have easy access to your equipment or a combo player.

DJ

PaulKH

Second Unit
That's the pain - most receivers don't have 2 sets of analog inputs and who really WANTS two transports, one for DVDA and one for SACD?!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Paul asked:

who really WANTS two transports, one for DVDA and one for SACD?!
If the universal players are lacking, I do! The APEX unit doesn't count, the Pioneer DV-AX10 is priced high and converts DSD to PCM, and the jury is still out on the Pioneer Elite DV-47A. Some have said that SACD playback on the '47A is lackluster.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
THen it's an implementation issue with the Pioneer.

The Crystal Semiconductor DACs that are used in the Pioneer are the same as in the Philips SACD1000, which is been highly praised for SACD playback.

Regards,

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
While there has been some controversy over the DV-47A, and I haven't really done any comparisons with other SACD players in my home system, on an absolute basis, I would say that my first experience of SACD on the DV-47A has been very impressive (DVD-A, too -- considerably better than on the JVC 723GD I was using before). Based on (admittedly) first impressions, I don't think Pioneer has any need to apologize for the DV-47A's audio performance.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am going to have to listen to the '47A. Unfortunately, stores in my area still don't have it. A salesman at one store said their stock is still in the warehouse. Anyway, I read some comments on Audio Asylum stating that SACD replay was lacking on the '47A. Obviously opinions vary, and I don't know what people were comparing the '47A to. I doubt the '47A would match the Sony SCD-1, '777ES, or 'XA777ES with CDs or SACDs, for example.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
DVDA is awesome. Most of the titles I have sound great on the Panny RP-91.
Some like "The Eagles/Hotel California" sound revelatory!
JohnG:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks