What's new

DVD Audio and Bass Management (1 Viewer)

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it looks like I am going to be getting an HDTV. I would like to upgrade to a progressive DVD player. If I am going to upgrade now, I would like to get one that also does DVD audio, but only if it has bass management for DVD audio. So, are there any DVD audio players that do bass management? If not, I think that I will wait for a decent player to come out with bass management.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Jeff,

I think your going to have to wait a bit because I don't think there are any players that do progressive, DVD-A and have bass management for DVD-A yet.

I hear that they are coming out but I'm uncertain as to which models they are.

Patrick

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
The Denon DVM-4800 and the new Kenwood Sovereign Series players are the only ones I know that are available now that offer bass management for DVD-Audio.
Alternatively, you can also get any DVd-Audio player and couple with the Outlaw Audio ICBM or the new M&K BMC 5.1 Mini Bass Managment Controller.
DB:)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
To tell you the truth Jeff, you would be doing yourself a diservice to you and you hdtv if you did not buy a progressive scan dvd player. One of the best upgrades I made was buying the JVC XV-723 GD progressive scan dvd-audio player. It was only $299 and has been flawless. The difference between interlaced and progressive is night and day. The way I look at it is you can get a great progressive scan player for next to nothing and pretty much get dvd-audio as a bonus. Even with no bass management, dvd-audio is still the best sounding music available. I would really check into JVC'S new line, I have heard good things about them. gOOD LUCK.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks alot guys. I kind of figured that there still wasn't much available as far as DVD audio and bass management. I had been scanning the different players and didn't come up with much. The reason that I was thinking about waiting is because I wasn't sure if progressive would make that much difference. Now you're making me wonder, Jeff. One of the problems is that I am pretty sure that I am going with the Toshiba 50HX81 and I have read that with the upconversion to 540p that the Tosh does, it can introduce artifacts. I don't think that it will pass the native 480p signal, so I wasn't sure if the picture would be that much better. But, if I could get DVD audio in the deal I wouldn't care if the picture wasn't that much better.

What type of TV are you using Jeff?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Hey Jeff, I am not too familiar with the Toshiba line. I am kind of confused by ypur comment. Are you saying that the Toshiba introduces digital artifacts form it's component progressive scan inputs? It just does not pass a normal 480 progressive scan image? Are you meaning that it upconverts interlaced or NTSC signals to 540p? I have seen hdtv's do that. But I thought they still passed a normal 480p image with no enhancement. Either way, I am sure the progressive scan input will look alot better than interlaced and if it doesn't then you should consider a different tv. The hdtv I have is the Sharpvision 64.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, I am taking that information from this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=29706
The question you asked is kind of being debated over there. According to the one poster, the Toshs upconvert component progressive signals to 540. This can introduce some "artifacts". For my viewing, which I do a lot of sports and movies from Dish, both my wife and I thought the Toshiba had a much better picture than the Mits. So I think the Toshiba is a better choice for me. The picture on DVD is still much better than my standard TV on DVD material if not simply for the fact that I can properly watch anamorphic material. At least that is my logic, and again, the reason why I am not that set on getting a progressive player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks