DVD-A & Sony DVD players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by robertLP, Jan 10, 2003.

1. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Is there any speculation whether or not future Sony DVD players will play DVD-A's?

Let's say in 2 years all new DVD players - even the no-name brands - are able to play DVD-A's. Wouldn't that affect Sony's (or Phillips) sales if they are the *only* players that *don't* play DVD-A's?

Rob

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, anything is possible. However, I don't see Sony adding DVD-Audio capability anytime soon. I'm sure Sony executives realize that the number of universal players is growing, but I imagine Sony is going to stay the course with SACD. The hope at Sony must be that if SACD can maintain or even increase its advantage in available software, it will beat out DVD-Audio to become the high-resolution audio standard. Is this a realistic expectation? Well, that is a subject of an on-going heated debate here and elsewhere.

The Sony empire in its effort to have SACD reign supreme recently put up a good chunk of change to get Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon on SACD (though I suppose a DVD-Audio version is a possibility). I would expect Sony to continue the push for high-profile titles on SACD and not give DVD-Audio any consideration.

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

4. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Shawn,

Check the Music Area board here. It has been announced that Dark Side of the Moon will be coming out on SACD. There is no word now about a DVD-Audio release.

Steve,

I don't think Sony has ever been really concerned about DVD-Audio. Things are looking very up for SACD, so I see Sony focusing completely on SACD as far as high-resolution audio is concerned.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

7. DennisK

DennisK Agent

More and more manufacturers are starting to make universal players. Unless DVD-A software becomes completely unavailable (which hopefully will never happen) I think Sony will have to point DVD-A in their machines to stay competitve, or lower the prices to make them more attractive. I think the new Pioneer and Zenith universal players' price points are going to make it difficult to compete without it.

8. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator