What's new

DVD-A & Sony DVD players (1 Viewer)

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any speculation whether or not future Sony DVD players will play DVD-A's?

Let's say in 2 years all new DVD players - even the no-name brands - are able to play DVD-A's. Wouldn't that affect Sony's (or Phillips) sales if they are the *only* players that *don't* play DVD-A's?

Rob

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, anything is possible. However, I don't see Sony adding DVD-Audio capability anytime soon. I'm sure Sony executives realize that the number of universal players is growing, but I imagine Sony is going to stay the course with SACD. The hope at Sony must be that if SACD can maintain or even increase its advantage in available software, it will beat out DVD-Audio to become the high-resolution audio standard. Is this a realistic expectation? Well, that is a subject of an on-going heated debate here and elsewhere.

The Sony empire in its effort to have SACD reign supreme recently put up a good chunk of change to get Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon on SACD (though I suppose a DVD-Audio version is a possibility). I would expect Sony to continue the push for high-profile titles on SACD and not give DVD-Audio any consideration.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
The Sony empire in its effort to have SACD reign supreme recently put up a good chunk of change to get Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon on SACD (though I suppose a DVD-Audio version is a possibility).
Huh? I thought Dark Side of the Moon was coming out on DVD-A Mar. 3???
Link Removed

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Huh? I thought Dark Side of the Moon was coming out on DVD-A Mar. 3???
They haven't updated that list in a week.

Too bad Sony is so pigheaded on least admiting that some of us have DVDA discs. They wouldn't lose any money they will have their SACD's and record companies will continue to put out SACD's and DVDA's,but I guess admitting people have DVDA's is bad in their eyes. One word Sony BETAMAX All of my equipment is Sony(DVD,TV,receiver,VCR) and I would love to buy Sony combo SACD/DVDA player....but it looks like Pioneer will get my money in June.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Shawn,

Check the Music Area board here. It has been announced that Dark Side of the Moon will be coming out on SACD. There is no word now about a DVD-Audio release.

Steve,

I don't think Sony has ever been really concerned about DVD-Audio. Things are looking very up for SACD, so I see Sony focusing completely on SACD as far as high-resolution audio is concerned.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Let's say in 2 years all new DVD players - even the no-name brands - are able to play DVD-A's.
It will never happen. Though the chipset itself for MLP and high res PCM has become very inexpensive, all the hardware of the jacks, circuits, op-amps, etc. to put the 6 channel output on the back of the machine won't be accomplished on low priced high volume entry level machines.

DennisK

Agent
More and more manufacturers are starting to make universal players. Unless DVD-A software becomes completely unavailable (which hopefully will never happen) I think Sony will have to point DVD-A in their machines to stay competitve, or lower the prices to make them more attractive. I think the new Pioneer and Zenith universal players' price points are going to make it difficult to compete without it.

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
"The Sony empire in its effort to have SACD reign supreme recently put up a good chunk of change to get Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon on SACD (though I suppose a DVD-Audio version is a possibility)."
I would imagine Sony made Pink Fraud (I mean Floyd) sign some sort of contract stating they couldn't release this album on DVD-A for a specified period of time.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks