DVD-A question about listed formats

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomK, Jun 10, 2002.

1. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

When I am looking at DVD-A's to purchase, ocasionally they say "Recorded in 96 kHz/24 bits". Sometimes a disc will have MLP listed, which I believe I believe to be the DVD-A format. Then there is this which really doesn't say that it is or isn't DVD-A.
    I find it very hard to determine which discs are actually the DVD-Audio format. Anyone have any idea what is real and wht is not?
    Tom

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Tom, that link you posted clearly labels the disc as DVD-Audio under the title.

If a disc is labeled as "DVD-Audio," that is DVD-A using the MLP format.

3. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    This is a bad situation I agree. The DVD-A format supports many different resolution configurations. MLP is optional at lower resolutions. Just because it says MLP doesn’t mean it’s hi-resolution, but it is indeed DVD-A. The disc you mention is 96/24 5.1. Below I listed some rules of thumb for some of the DVD-A labels that I am familiar with.

Warner uses a “high resolution” logo on their discs. All of their discs are also labeled DVD-Audio. Every one I’ve seen has a 96/24 5.1 mix. Most have a stereo mix as well. I don’t recall exactly but I think some of their early discs didn’t have a dedicated stereo mix.

Silverline started issuing surround discs before DVD-A was reality, so some of their early discs are DVD-V with DD and DTS tracks. If the disc is labeled as DVD-Audio/Video, then it is DVD-A. All DVD-A’s from Silverline are 96/24 5.1, but they do not have stereo tracks.

AIX: All discs from AIX are recorded/mixed/mastered in 96/24. Quality is astounding.

DTS: Be careful of these guys. They are deliberately trying to trick you into thinking their DTS CD’s are DVD-A. If the disc dot not explicitly say it is DVD-A, then assume it is not.

EMI: not hi-res they are 48/24 4.0 mixes

Tacet: same as for EMI

4. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Silverline is terrible with their labeling.

I do have some issues with their disks, I bought the Beethoven romatic classics disk, and whike it is labeled dvd-a my players dvd-a light does not come on. It also asks me to pick dts or dd, this should not happen. I have doubts weather the disk is true dvd-a, when I check the sample rate it says 48 and not 96 as all other multi channel dvd-a mixes do.

5. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Grag,

Like I mentioned above, not all Silverline discs are DVD-A. The ones I have seen are NOT marked DVD-Audio. They are marked DVD-Video. New Silverline discs are better marked with the resolution clearly indicated in the upper right corner on the front.

6. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Craig,

The case is clearly marked DVD-Audio.

This one has a 24/96 marking in the upper right corner as well. Do you have to do anything special when the disk is inserted to access DVD-Audio playback?

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg,

Every DVD-Audio disc I have ever tried in my Technics DVD-A10 has gone to the DVD-Audio layer by default. In fact, I do not know if there is a way to access the DVD-Video layer on the 'A10. I have one Silverline DVD-Audio disc and have had no problems accessing the DVD-Audio layer.

Craig,

My problem with Silverline Records is that they do not include discrete stereo tracks on their DVD-Audio discs. That is reason enough for me to ignore their discs.

8. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Greg,
    The Silverline disc should automatically play the DVD-A track on a DVD-A player. I assume you have no problem with other DVD-A discs. i.e. your player is not set to "video" mode. I would contact Silverline. They announced that they were going to rerelease all their old DVD-V discs as DVD-A. It may be that you got an old disc with the new package.
    Keith,
    Yeah, I know you like old fashioned 2 channel [​IMG]. But as for Silverline, they are under the 5.1 Entertainment Group. Surround is their gig and they stand by it.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig said:

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Most DTS entertainment releases use 48khz sampling rate on their MC MLP encoded tracks[except Queen's ANATO].
    Telarc's "Celebrating the music of Weather Reports" is 44.1khz[!!],this is the only disc that the DTS track is actualy superrior to me,by a small margin then the MLP track.