What's new

Duran Duran is coming to SACD! From Sony!! (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Musictap.net is reporting that Sony, on its Epic label, will be releasing Duran Duran's "Astronaut" album on multi-channel hybrid SACD this coming December 6.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Danny. Trippy. Just to be clear: this is slated for domestic release? I suppose I'm glad that I hadn't yet bought the Astronaut Dual.

I'm still yearning for some clarity/consistency in matters hi rez. Does this mean that we might see a resurgence of SACDs from Sony as Blu-ray approaches . . .? And WTF does Universal Music Group's announcement of BD support mean?

But I digress. It will be very interesting to see if this actually streets.

-p

P.S. - The DualDisc.com site is still lame. Why can't they just put a "Titles" link on the home page that takes you to a list of all Duals released. You have to know which press release to go to to find that info at the site now.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
When I see it, I will believe it. Until then count me skeptical.

Sony has done nothing with SA-CD this year, and many of the upcoming releases have never seen the light of day. One title from the format's creator is not big news, and is actually somewhat depressing.

I am getting to the point where I may unload my SA-CD player and library, if something doesn't give.

J

John Milton

Second Unit
If this SACD does surface I'll be picking it up since I never bought Astronaut. Been a DD fan for a long time though.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Justin, re "I am getting to the point where I may unload my SA-CD player and library, if something doesn't give."

Why not wait until Sony's Blu-ray players street, supposedly next summer? The PS3 is supposed to support SACD playback. Maybe some/most/all of Sony's Blu-ray players will also?

-p

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
If Sony sticks to it's plans of including full Blu-Ray support in the PS3 with SA-CD playback (and at this point I think it's still a big if), you can bet that it won't make a lick of difference with regards to SA-CD releases.

The typical console gamer couldn't care less about hi-rez audio.

SA-CD failed with the mainstream crowd, and the PS3 isn't going to change that.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Since Musictap.net is an US site, I'd think this rumored release is for the US. No confirmation on Duran Duran's official website.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

And that opera by Roger Waters. not to mention "War of the Worlds" and "Big Guns, The Very Best of" Rory Gallagher.

Sony also licensed several titles to MoFi for SACD release, like those from Earth Wind & Fire, the Byrds and Edgar Winter Group.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Marc,

I am almost 100% sure that was it for Sony....Rory Gallagher, Roger Waters, Joshua Bell, and "War of the Worlds". If you include BMG (since they are now one company), then you can add in the Living Stereo SACDs.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Well it's a pretty small list of titles.

I think this is the best we'll be seeing from Sony with regards to SA-CD - a handful of titles a year.

I'll continue to purchase some classical titles from the RCA and Mercury series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks