What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Dungeons and Dragons 1980 TV series (1 Viewer)

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
while preforming a search of the website, I found a really old thread on this animated series. I also read in IMDB several conflicting reports about the DVD box set being realesed in the UK and then that it had been cancelled?

I just did a search of Amazon to see if it was finally listed on there site. But alas it was not. Does anyone know if this tv series will be released or has been released in R1?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I have the boxand I love it, it has fan commentaries as a bonus feature., Too bad the show never had a final episode but all episodes are on the boxset which is nice, the 4 volumes fit inside a sturdy box that locks with velcro. One thing I do not understand though is Jetix and Fox Kids logos are on the box.

It is a set worth importing and if you do, pick up Visionaries, and Defenders of the Earth, He-man is also there as is The Real GhostBusters, I believe.

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
The TV series was (at least partially) replayed on FOX Kids (saturday morning) for a few months a couple years back, kind of intended to be a tie in to the 'Blockbuster' movie ;)... I suspect it's related to that (they must have the rights now...).

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Since my DVD player does not read multi region, I guess that I will have to wait to get this box set when it comes available in R1. Just hope that it does.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not multi-regioned either, though the Contender D&D dvds are the title that tempted me to upgrade my set-up more than anything else so far. The fan commentaries sound hilarious -- some of the participants posted about the experience over at the Helix Town Square message board (it was months ago, so it may have scrolled off the page)

But, I'm positive that there will be a R1 release for this show sometime in the next year or two, so I'm waiting patiently.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Philips 642 at WalMart/Target for $69

Does the best PAL>NTSC conversion for the price. Period.
Anamorphic titles convert correctly, no combing, no 'crawling' of the picture.

a NO BRAINER

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Rick, I am looking into getting the Yamaha DVS 550 I sell those at the store so I will pick one up for cost. That is what I love about working in this industry.

Now to decide if I want to order this box set from europe or do I wait till it comes out R1

Kyle-K

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,
I have a question about the Philips 642...

I am looking to get a gift for a U.K. friend who wants to watch US TV show DVDs.

I think this player has the NTSC/PAL conversion, and has the region-free hacks.

Would this work for my friend? It has all the capabilities it would need in order to work, right? (except power- he might need a power converter as well?)

Thanks,
--kyle

Tory

Real Name
Tory

Kyle-K

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Tory, I hadn't really considered that much... though that's where we usually get gifts for them.

That would solve the power issue... but they are significantly more expensive, and our friends are actually coming to stay with us for xmas...

So, i was hoping for a deal, and a gift in hand that they can unwrap here. But that may still be a better option in the long run for them.

--kyle

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle-K, you can buy a step down power converter to solve the power issue as well. I am unfortunatly not sure how much this would cost thought.

Lets get this thread back to its origin now that we have solved this part of it.

Kyle-K

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I agree....

I'm sorry about hijacking the thread. I forgot where i was, when I read the comments about the dvd player.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm actually glad now that they never produced a finale. I think that lack of resolution was one of the things that has kept the show alive for me -- I hated the thought of the kids being stranded in the Realm forever, so I imagined my own version of a finale. And as much as I enjoyed reading how Michael Reaves chose to end the show, I prefer my own daydreamed story.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
Well, mainly I wanted the kids to make it back home. And though we had that one episode where their weapons didn't work in the real world, I imagined that it was because the DM had been testing them, and that when they finally succeeded in defeating/redeeming Venger, the DM would reveal that the magic would work for them in both worlds. (Which then meant I could use them for a Beauty & The Beast "save Catherine" daydream;) ) I've left out the Mary-Sue bits, but, that was the gist of it - that they would find their way back home, and then find a way to continue their adventuring.

Tory

Real Name
Tory
I always thouht Dungeon Master was evil and soon Eric would lead the kids to that realization and emerge as the true hero of the series. Still, I find that final episode script to be a good direction for the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks