What's new

Dumb question for newby (1 Viewer)

NicholasK

Auditioning
I have an easy question for you guys. Last night I hooked up a new Toshiba 50HX81 rptv, and a new DVD player. DVD player looks good, but the TV is in serious need of a good tuning. Here is the question: I run everything (except for the DVD component video) through my JVC receiver, and then send one video cable to the monitor. This worked fine on my last TV, when I was running a simple RCA type video cable. Now that this TV has a S-video input (and my receiver does not have component) I used a S-video cable to connect to the monitor. The TV is getting a signal from the receiver, but the screen is all blue. I can't get the TV to give me a picture! Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If the source is connected to the receiver using composite (i.e. single RCA), then you must connect the receiver to the TV using the composite. The receiver cannot convert composite to S-video. So your hookup should be:

DVD (component)-> receiver (component)-> TV

S-video source (S-Video)-> receiver (S-video)-> TV

composite souce (composite)-> receiver (composite)-> TV

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
So you are using your receiver as an s-video switcher? Make sure you connect the receiver and TV with an s-video cable. Make sure you select s-video on your tv. You should be able to switch between video1, video2 etc etc and one of them should be the s-video coming into the TV (I am not familiar with that model of TV). Try a direct connect between the DVD and TV if you cannot isolate the problem then when you get your picture, through the receiver into the mix.

FYI, you can use a receiver to do composite, s-video, or component switching but it will not convert one to the other. In a case like that, you could hook all your video devices to your receiver using one of the 3 types of cable, then you would need to hook up composite, s-video, and component all to your TV and then when you select a certain video device to play (VCR, satellite, LD, DVD etc) you would have to make sure your TV is set to the corresponding video type (composite, s-video, component).

NicholasK

Auditioning
Thanks, guys. The DVD works fine, since it does not run through the receiver. The VCR is composite into the receiver, and S-video out. I didn't know that the receiver couldn't switch the signal. But it now makes sense, that my video signal will always be limited by the weakest link. I don't know where my mind was. Makes perfect sense now. I will switch it tonight when I get home. Thanks again.

Nick

This is such a great forum. Good job.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Nicholas: Why don't you use component-video connections? With that particular RPTV, you'd be doing it an injustice with anything less than a component/YPbPr-type connection.

NicholasK

Auditioning
I am using the component connection for the DVD (straight to the TV), but I am running basic cable through my VCR, through my receiver. Neither the VCR or receiver have component outs. Am I missing a way for a better connection?

NicholasK

Auditioning
One more thing, I played around with the tint/color/contrast last night, and I couldn't get a good picture. There was very little red. It was too dark/muddy for me. How can I the reds to be...red? Is this the color or tint adjustment? Will the AVIA disc help with color? Does Best Buy carry it?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The Avia, Video Essentials or Sound and Vision disk will help you adjust your video to standard test patterns. Avia and VE also include color filters (Blue in VE, Red, Blue, Green in Avia) to help adjust color. I'm not familiar with S&V, so I don't know if it has any filters.

I have seen Avia at Best Buy, but I have not seen it on a regular basis. Best place for any of these is online.

That and a Radio Shack SPL meter are the best $65 I've spent. Have calibrated my own and 5 other TV/HT with it.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure that this is just not a case of properly switching the AV source on your TV? Some displays go blue when not receiving a signal.

On the off chance that you have not done this, cycle through the AV inputs on your TV, to insure that the TV is indeed not receiving a signal.

It is also possible that you have chosen the correct AV source, but that the TV is expecting a component signal or a 1080i signal instead of what it is receiving. Check this also

My Sony for example has a blue screen when I have selected the component inputs receiving the signal from my satellite STB, but the box has been switched to output a 480p/480i signal. I also get a blue screen when the AV input to which my S-Video signal from my VCR (and back to the STB) is selected but I have set the STB to output a 1080i component signal.

All of these factors interrelate a bit and one incorrect combination can result in a blue screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks